TP1A - Fast Food/ Eating Out
To give students practice reading for skimming, scanning and reading for detail in the context of a biography about the founder of KFC.
To expose students to past simple regular/ irregular/ positive/ negative.
Procedure (36-46 minutes)
1. Teacher introduces himself/herself and checks the names of the students. 2. Teacher shows the students some pictures of fast foods and asks students if they know what they are. 3. Teacher writes the words on the board around an empty topic box. 4. Teacher asks the students to guess what the topic is and writes it is the box.
1. Teacher gives students a number - 1,2, or 3 - putting them in groups. 2. Teacher writes the three questions on the board from the textbook and each group is assigned one of the questions. - What fast food companies are there in your country? - What are the good and bad things about fast food? - Do you ever go to fast food restaurants? Which ones? What do you usually buy? 3. Teacher tells the student to mingle and ask each other their questions. 4. Teacher asks students for feedback on what they talked about and writes vocabulary and phrases on the board.
1. Teacher explains that he/she has a handout. 2. Teacher briefly explains what the readingis about and asks the students if they know anything about Harland Sanders or KFC. 2. Teacher explains that the students should skim read the text and discuss question 2 in pairs. 3. Teacher hands out the the handout and puts students into pairs. 4.Students read and discuss in pairs. 5. Teacher invites individuals to come and arrange the events in the correct order.
1. Students read the text individually and write their answers. 2. Students discuss the answers in their pairs. 3. Teacher asks students individually for feedback on the answers.
1. Teacher asks students to mingle and ask each other if they like fast food. If yes, what fast food do you eat? If no, what food do you like? 2. Teacher asks for feedback on what they learned about others. 3. Teacher ends the lesson.