To provide product writing practice of creating a movie review and providing their opinion
To provide practice of vocabulary used for writing a movie review.
To provide gist reading practice by reading a movie review.
Procedure (42-46 minutes)
- T displays PPT slide with pictures of popular movies. - T asks students to predict what they will do this lesson. - Q: Do they miss going to movies? Have you seen something recently that you liked? - T writes some ideas on the PPT - T shows focus of the lesson, writing.
- Students use [Google Forms link/Word Doc] for gist task with text. - T asks Ss to read quickly and answer the question “What is this article?" - Instructions: Look at the link/document in chat. Read the text quickly and answer the question. You have a minute and a half [time] to read. WRITE your answers in chat, but only when I say its okay. [Do not look at the second task.] - ICQs: If you have a minute and a half [time], do you need to read fast or slowly? (Fast) Do you write you answers in chat now or after I say its okay? (After) - Ss read the text quickly. - [After time] Please write your answers in chat. - T conducts OCFB. Q: "What is the PURPOSE of a movie review?"
- T asks students to complete Guided Discovery task using Google Forms link to match stage of a story to particular language. - Instructions: Go to the link. [T SHOWS TASK ON SCREEN.] Choose the correct title for each section. You have two and a half minutes with your groups. - ICQs: How long do you have to answer the quiz? (2.5 minutes) - Ss do exercise in groups. T observes and helps if necessary. - T conducts OCFB.
- T reviews MPF of TL (see language analysis). - T asks CCQs if purpose of expressions isn’t clear from GD task: If we say information about a story, is that setting up the background? (Yes) Do we give background with I’ll never forget the first time I…? (Yes) Can we also give background with ‘I was’? (Yes) How do we start our story? (At first) Can we use ‘then’ to continue our story or end it? (Continue) Can we also use ‘I was’ to continue it? (Yes)
- T tells students they are going to write their own postcard. - T scaffolds the task by providing useful language it can be used to complete the task by putting firsts elicited earlier in chat. - Instructions: Tell a story about firsts from your life. Use the language from class today, look at the link again if you need to. - T gives Jamboard/Padlet link in chat. - Be creative! You can use the examples from earlier. - You have 15 minutes. - [Is demo applicable? Just show them my own postcard?] T demos task, demos with a student if there’s time. “Sara/Deborah, can you tell me about the first time you...?" - ICQs: Do you have to use these examples or can you be creative? (Be creative) How long do you have? (15 minutes) - Ss write individually. - T monitors and helps as necessary and notes language for DEC.
- T asks students to work with a partner or small group to check their work. - Instructions: "You have 2 minutes to read your partners article. Partners are in chat." - Ss read partner's article. - T provides Word Worksheet with a short checklist - Instructions: "Open the checklist in chat and look at the questions. Answer the questions. You have 2 minutes." - After time, T sends Ss into BORs with their group to discuss. - "Discuss your partner's movie review for 2.5 minutes in groups." - T conducts OCFB following up on the productive stage. "Who wants to share their movie review?" - T writes on the screen samples of Ss’ production and performs DEC, attempting to elicit accurate language from Ss.