TP 7 Lexis
At the end of the lesson, students will have learned collocations in the context of talking about Demara, the great imposter.
By the end of the lesson, students will have practiced speaking using some of the collocations they have learned.
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
- T shows a picture of Demara, the greatest imposter, and asks "have you heard of Demara, the greatest imposter?" - Ss answer in an open class discussion. - T shows some jobs on the screen and asks Ss to think about the jobs he has worked. - Ss think and share their ideas. - T gives them feedback about Demara's jobs.
- T shares his screen with the text. - T gives Ss 2 minutes to see the text and answer the questions: "what do you think about Demara? was he a good person or not?" - T sends the Ss to BORs to discuss in two groups their opinions for 2 minutes. - Ss come back and share their ideas with the class.
- T draws the Ss' attention to the target language which is highlighted in red: Have a look at the words in red, are they only verbs or more than verbs? (more than verbs). Are these words connected? (Yes) What do we call them? They're called collocations.
- T shares pictures, some of them from the movie "The Greatest Imposter) and some of them from the internet. The pictures come with sentences to make the context clear for the Ss. T elicits the collocations (cure illnesses/ people, save a man’s life, be arrested for a crime/ murder, spend time, save money, make a film/ documentary). - T shares the phonemic transcription and drills the target language. - T explains how the words are pronounced in British and American accents.
- Ss are sent a link in the chatbox for an online quiz on Wordwall. - SS match the collocations. - Ss coe back after answering the quiz. - T shares his screen with the correct answers.
- T shares 3 pictures from the internet featuring the topics of traveling abroad for a holiday, saving money, and becoming famous. - T asks the Ss to complete these sentences with their own ideas: I want to spend my next holiday in …………. Saving money can …………… To become famous, I need to……… - T gives Ss 1 minute to take a screenshot and think, then sends them in BORs to discuss in pairs for 5 minutes.
-T shares his screen with some questions for discussion: how to become successful in learning English? what will you do if you become famous? - T sends Ss to BORs and they discuss in pairs the questions. - Ss come back and share their ideas. - T gives feedback on some mistakes in the BORs.