Speaking: Marriage &Divorce
Upper Intermediate level
for students to practice speaking in the context of marriage and divorce.
for students to talk about the future in the context of marriage and divorce
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- T displays the trailer of the movie "marriage" - T asks students about what do they think today's lesson is about. - T listens to students answers and tries to elicit the answer from students. - T tells students that we will be talking about marriage and divorce.
- T shows ss the quote " the secret of happy marriage remains a secret" and displays 3 questions for pair work. - Do you agree or disagree? - How do people usually meet in your country? - At what age do people get married in your home country? - T asks students to change groups and share their answers together. - T listens to students responses and gives feedback.
- T tells ss that we use the future tense (will+ infi) to talk and express our ideas about the future. T initiates a debate "imagine yourself in a date to find your life partner what are the questions you are going to ask" - T opens the break out rooms and monitors. - SS share their answers together then the teacher switches the groups to pair check their answers. - T gives his feedback
- T initiates the question what is the secret of a happy life. - SS brainstorm ideas and share their answers together. - T asks "Are there any negative sides of marriage or what happens when things go wrong? - ss will mention divorce and the teacher asks students to work in pairs and come up with a list of reasons to divorce. - T monitors and supports when possible. - T switches the groups and ss pair check their answers together.
- T displays 3 discussion questions : - What will you do if your parents did not agree with your choice of partner? - is the divorce rate high in your country? if yes, why? - If someone who is considering divorce contacts you seeking advice or help, what is the first thing you ask them and why? - T corrects some pronunciation mistakes and gives final feedback on the topic.