Speak Out Unit 4 Section 3
To provide clarification and review of the modal should and specific expressions in the context of advice giving
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion in the context of giving advice to specific problems
Procedure (34-43 minutes)
- T welcomes the student into the class. - T opens the PP presentation. - T elicits the word 'advice' from the students by showing them a short situation. - T elicits the modal should and the negative shouldn't by asking Ss the doctor's advice for the patient. - T elicits the modal should by asking Ss the teacher's advice for a student who fails a test. - T elicits short advice sentences like 'Be careful' by using an example situation of someone's spill accident. - After eliciting these sentences, T completes sentences on the power point and reveals the functional language example sentences.
-T opens the slide and shows activity 3. -T asks the students to read Zeynep's message. -T sends Ss into breakout rooms to discuss a good advice for Zeynep's problems. - After students comeback from paired activity, T asks them to share their partner's advice.
- T opens the next slide and shows activity 4. - T asks Ss to go into break rooms for a group activity (3 students in each group). - T asks Ss to discuss which ideas are great. - After group activity, T asks each group to share their ideas.
- T opens the next slide and shows activity 4 and 5. - T explains that Ss can fill in the blanks on activity 5 by using examples from activity 4. - T sends students a copy of both activities through chat box. - T asks them to study in pairs and sends them into breakout rooms. - When Ss come back, T asks for the answers and reveals them on the slide. - T asks students where these expressions can be used and elicits the answer 'to give advice'.
- T opens the next slide and shows the activity. -T asks students to work in pairs, formulate five sentences and put them on a conversational order. -T sends Ss to breakout rooms in pairs. - After the students are back, T asks Ss to share their answers.
- T opens next slide and shows freer activity. - T asks students to work in pairs and offer some advice for one of the situations. - T nominates groups for exercises, ie. group 1 for activity sample 1. - T sends students into break rooms in pairs. - When students return from the rooms, T asks Ss to share their partner's advice