To provide clarification and practice of reported speech through controlled and freer tasks
To provide students with the opportunity to build fluency through freer practice of using reported speech
Procedure (45-45 minutes)
- T pre-teaches 'gossip' and introduces topic through opinion questions. (jamboard) - Ss discuss both questions in BO rooms (pairs or small groups) - T sends questions into the chat and ensures all Ss have the questions prior to sending them to BO rooms ICQs: Has everyone received the questions? What are you going to discuss? https://jamboard.google.com/d/1_8LQFQgC3IjpUZM3pW9ayTfGkJrgiAQ3_KM0bl6fXAo/edit?usp=sharing
- Forms of reported speech are modeled via listening task (google forms) - Ss listen to a conversation and complete a gist task (mc questions). - T shares the task and checks to ensure Ss have received it. ICQs: Has everyone opened the link I shared in the chat? What are you going to do? https://forms.gle/Gp1j6L5dTuDhm25PA - OCFB to clarify any answers
- T shares GD sheet (ms doc) via chat. Can send a google doc link if needed ICQs: Has everyone opened the word document? - Ss complete GD sheet individually, check answers in pairs via chat [5 min] - OCFB to check answers (google slides) [4 min] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/16mj1qyjr5gSgk-6rXdFc7jaEv1BOq-yz8MFSa5M1G78/edit?usp=sharing - T asks CCQs to check Ss understanding of GP sheet Slide 5: (that) Do these sentences mean the same thing? Slide 6: What words are stressed?
- Ss complete task individually via google forms, writing sentences in reported speech [5 min] - T shares the task and checks to ensure Ss have received it. https://forms.gle/A6gUXMiFbs3VTaPr8 ICQs: Has everyone opened the link I shared in the chat? What are you going to do? Are you going to put periods in your answers? - OCFB to clarify any answers. [3 min]
- T shares screen and puts the task instructions in chat (ms doc), asks Ss to copy or open it before joining BO rooms [1 min] ICQs: Have you opened the document or copied the words from the chat? Can you see the 4 things you will talk about? Will you write notes? - T models with plastic duck first, then sends Ss to rooms - Ss tell their partner about their personal experiences (BO rooms). [4 min] - Ss then switch groups and tell their new partner what their first partner said [4 min] - OCFB & DEC: T addresses common errors. Ss demonstrate by sharing what they heard in front of the class. T offers feedback & error correction [6 min]