USA Quiz/ Adjectives
Elementary - A2 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of adjectives in the context of USA Quiz
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in the context of describing countries and things using adjectives.
Procedure (30-45 minutes)
1) Ask the students the following question (display it on PowerPoint presentation) Which country is it? 2) Nominate 1 or 2 students for O/C feedback. 3) Asking a follow-up question ( Which picture helped you to answer?) 4) Nominate 1 or 2 students for O/C feedback.
1) Ask the students to bring their cell phones and follow the steps and the instructions on the screen. 2) Let each one of them play on her own and compete with her classmates and the winner is the fastest to finish the game on the TL. 3) congratulate the winner.
1) I will show a picture on my screen ( American Airlines) explaining that the airline is a business that helps us to travel from place to place, then I will ask my students these questions 1- The word " Airlines" is a noun or a verb? a noun 2- American: Is it related to The USA or Egypt? The USA So, we can describe anything related to The USA or anyone who was born there as American. Then I'll stop sharing my screen, open my camera then 2) Ask the Ss to repeat the word after me, Try to show them the stress syllable while pronunciation ( American: /əˈmer.ɪ.kən/ ) the stress is on the first syllable. 3) Nominate 1 student to say the word again. 4) Nominate another student to ask her about the strongest part in the word ( the stress). 5) Show the students the word on the screen with highlighting form/ stress syllable. 6) Quick mention that" American Airlines" both words are equally stressed. The same will be done with the rest of the adjectives by asking different questions. Adjective 2: Is this an old city or is it exists nowadays? it exists nowadays We can describe anything that is existing nowadays ( new) Adjective 3: When I say "Have a nice day!", does it mean to have a bad or a good day? A good day. ( nice in... Have a nice day!) Adjective 4: Does it take short time or a long time to be prepared? Short time We can describe the hot food such as hamburgers that are quick to cook or is already cooked to be eaten very quickly in a restaurant as ( fast food) ( fast in fast food) Adjective 5: Using realia and asking: Is it white or black? White Then go back again to the picture explaining what The White House is. ( white in The White House) Adjective 6: Explaining the definition of a high school which is a school in the US for older children, usually children from grades 9-12, or aged approximately 14-18. Are the students at the high school in grade 1 or grade 10? Grade10 (high in... a high school) Adjective 7: How many pairs of jeans do we have in this picture? 1 pair Is it a white or blue color? blue (blue in blue jeans) Adjective 8: Is it only one taxi or more than one? More than one Is it blue or yellow? yellow ( yellow in yellow taxis) The summary * When we use an adjective with a noun, the adjective goes be before the noun. * We can use adjectives without a noun after the verb be. *We can use (a/an) before the adjective, "a" with adjectives starting with consonants and"an" with adjectives starting with vowels. *Adjectives don’t change before a plural noun. * We often use very or quite before adjectives.
1) Ask the students to underline the adjectives in HO1 by working in two groups in the breakout rooms for 2 minutes. 2) Show the students the answer key. 3) Ask the students to bring their cell phones and follow the steps and the instructions on the screen. 4) Remind the students that they will write, so they have to focus on (capital letter, full stops, question marks) 5) Let each one of them play on her own and compete with her classmates and the winner is the fastest to finish the game on the TL. 6) Congratulate the winner, feedback on their mistakes if they have some by nominating some of them to give me the right answer.
1) Ask the student to look at the pictures and try to describe each one of them to her partner using the following words. (famous – Egypt – huge- American -food- long- cold-high- old- tall), mention that they can use their own words. 2) Ask them Icq questions and let them work in pairs for 6 minutes in breakout rooms after sending HO2 3) Monitor the students in the breakout room, trying to give them help if they need it. 4) O/C feedback for content and language, correcting their mistakes on the whiteboard if they have.