Vocabulary (the world)
Elementary - A2 level
In this lesson, students will learn about a set of nouns and adjectives (ex: England/ English) to describe the world in the context of continents, countries and nationalities.
To provide the students with the opportunity to practise speaking for fluency about the world using nouns and adjectives introduced in the lesson.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
1) Greet ss then tell them that we will discover our world together. 2) Show them my first slide on PPP which is a picture for the world map then ask them these two question 1- What is this? 2- What can we name the green part of the picture? 3) Nominate 1 student to answer the questions focusing on the second question by letting the student describe what she can see. 4) send HO1 after giving clear instructions to students and let them work in pairs. 5)Nominate 2 or 3 students for O/C feedback.
1) Show the students HO2 which is divided into three parts and in each part, you should match the words to the countries. 2) demonstrate the first number to its word to avoid lengthy instructions then ask some effective ICQs ex: 1- How many minutes do we have? 2- Are you going to write a word or just a number? 3) monitor the students in the breakout rooms trying to give them a hand if they need it. 4) Present the answer key for feedback after nominating some students to answer random numbers.
1) Let The students guess the place that we going to talk about by telling them, It is an important country in Europe and Cambridge University is there What is it? ( I think, It is England.) 2) Drill the pronunciation by nominating some students 3) Focusing on the main stress by asking them this question after nominating: Where is the strongest part in this word? The first part 4) Then writing the word showing it is a noun and highlighting the stress syllable 5) Ask the student this question - How can we describe the people who live in England? then elicit the answers or teach the pronunciation, stress, part of speech then write it with capital letters except ( the United States). 6) Tell the students that The word for a language is usually the same as the nationality adjective, e,g. in Italy the language is Italian 7) The same will be done with all target language ( England/ English, Spain/ Spanish, Turkey/Turkish, Mexico/ Mexican, the United States/the USA/American, Egypt/Egyptian, Italy/ Italian, China/ Chinese, Japan/ Japanese, Australia/ Australian) 8) Play audio with students to listen to many continents, countries, and nationalities. Some important questions while eliciting the meaning 1- As mentioned before. ( England/ English) 2- A country in Europe that has Real Madrid Club, What is it? ( Spain) How can we describe the people who live in Spain? (Spanish) 3- A country in Europe that famous for Baklava, What is it? (Turkey) How can we describe the people who live in Turkey? (Turkish) 4- A country in South America that famous for Chicken Quesadillas, What is it? (Mexico) How can we describe the people who live in Mexico? ( Mexican) 5- The second-largest country in North America, What is it? ( the USA) How can we describe the people who live in the USA? ( American) 6- A country in Africa that famous for the Pyramids? (Egypt) How can we describe the people who live in Egypt? ( Egyptian) 7- A country in Europe that famous for pizza, What is it? (Italy) How can we describe the people who live in Italy? (Italian) 8- A country in Aisa that famous for The Great Wall, What is it? (China) How can we describe the people who live in China? (Chinese) 9- A country in Aisa that famous for Tokyo National Museum, What is it? (Japan) How can we describe the people who live in Japan? ( Japanese) 10- A continent and a country that is famous for Sydney Opera House? ( Australia) How can we describe the people who live in Australia ( Australian)
1) Ask the student to read the following question: 1- Who is this guy? 2- What is his nationality? 2) Play the video, then nominate a student to answer. 3) Ask the students to bring their cell phones and follow the steps and the instructions on the screen. 4) Let each one of them play on her own and compete with their classmates and the winner is the fastest to finish the game on the TL. 5) congratulate the winner, feedback on their mistakes if they have some by nominating some of them.
* The teacher will divide this activity into three parts, each part may take 3- 4 minutes, so in each part, the teacher should 1) Demonstrate the task with a student to avoid lengthy instructions, and try to focus on the phrase( I think, I'm not sure) while answering and audio18,19 on the last part. 2) let them work in pairs in breakout rooms 3) Monitor and give feedback on the content. If we have extra time let the student in breakout rooms discuss the following questions: 1- Which country do you want to travel to? why? 2- Which nationality do you want to have? why? monitor 3) Monitor and give feedback on the content.