Millennials in the work place
For students to practice reading for gist and detailed information in the context of the workplace.
For students to practice writing for fluency in the target language that they have learnt in this lesson.
Procedure (38-58 minutes)
- T shows a picture and raises this question: Where is a satisfying workplace for you? - Ss engage in conversation with the teacher and give their answers.
- T elicits the meaning of the blocking words by asking Ss to match the definition with vocabulary. - Ss will have 3 minutes to do it. - provides the answer key and asks CCQs: turnover rate--> are we talking about the profit or employees? (employees) are the employees happy to stay in the company, or do they want to leave? (want to leave) employee retention--> are we talking about the companies' ability or the employees' ability? (company) if a company do not give good salaries, are they good at employee retention? (no) ethics--> if I always am late for work, do I have good work ethics? (no) if I am an honest person, do I have ethics? (yes) to strive to--> do we strive to be successful? (yes) do we strive to engage in a normal conversation? ( no) excessive--> if we eat excessively, does it mean that we do not eat enough? (no) If we love someone excessively, does it mean it is more than usual? (yes) threat--> if someone holds a gun at you, is that a threat? (yes) if your boss tells you to do your job better or you'll be out of the job, is that a threat? (yes) - T drills the words. - T gives FB.
- T gives 5 minutes to the Ss to read the text. - T sets the activity in which Ss need to match the heading with paragraphs. - T puts students in PWs they will have 3 minutes to finish the task together. - T monitors, gives FB. - provides the answer key.
- T sets up the task which Ss have to read the text again and answer questions. - Ss will engage in the task for 4 minutes. - T monitors, gets FB from Ss. - T shows the AK.
- The task for Ss is to see if the statements are true or false. - T puts Ss in PWs - Ss engage in the task together for 4 minutes. - T monitors and gives FB - shows the AK.
- T asks Ss to write what makes them happy in their workplace. - T asks Ss to annotate on WB and write 3-5 personal sentences. - T monitors and help if they need it.
- T writes some of the mistakes on the board that were noticed during the freer practice. - T praises who used the target language correctly.