scary or dangerous situations, phrases with get
For students to practice phrasal verb with get in the context of a bad or unlikely situations.
For students to practice fluency in producing phrasal verbs with get in the context of a bad or unlikely situations
Procedure (31-43 minutes)
- T shows two pictures to Ss and tries to elicit the word related to each picture - Ss may say 'mud' or 'traffic' and the T only says 'get mud' and 'get in traffic' - T does not try to elicit the structure of the TL. - T tries to set the context of a sad or less likely situation.
- T writes down a question on the board 'When was a situation that you got mad? Why?' - T writes a model on the WB - T asks Ss to think of a situation that happened to them and made them mad. - T lets Ss to think about this question for a while - T asks each S explain his/her situation to the other S - T asks for ICQs - T puts Ss in pairs of two in the breakout rooms - T monitors each room and intervene if there was any help needed
- T writes down the sentences of Ss on WB with inserting the TL in them. - T underlines the TL in each sentence
- T shows pictures and tries to elicit the words out from Ss in the format of the TL - T writes down phrasal verb 'get+word' on WB - T explains 'get' has different meaning depending on the situation - T clarifies the meanings of 'get' in the situations mentioned on the slide (buy, become, arrive)
- T provides two controlled practice for Ss based of the clarification of the meaning of the TL - T pairs Ss to practice together and ask ICQs - T monitors the breakout room and interfere when Ss are making any mistakes - T checks the answers with Ss if the majority had difficulty with finding the right answers, otherwise, T only shows the correct answers for all.
- T writes down on WB a sentence in the TL in a consequence of a situation with the help of 'so' - T model the first example of the TL - T asks students to try to produce a situation in TL with 'so' - T pairs Ss to practice the exercise - T monitors breakout rooms and check if each pair is doing the instructions correct - T checks errors and help when needed
- T sets a play exercise for Ss and models two examples - T explains each model and check if all Ss understand the instructions - T pairs Ss into groups to speak the TL more freely and come up with at least five sentences each - T monitors the breakout rooms but T does not interfere - T gives feedback and error check