To provide clarification and practice of language used for saying and responding to "hello, hi, what is your name, and nice to meet you" in the context of introduction oneself to another.
To build rapport in the classroom among the students and the teacher.
Procedure (39-51 minutes)
- The teacher says "Hello" and asking students to say "hi". Then the teacher makes the reverse, he says "hi" and the students say "hello". - This should be repeated 8 times. - The teacher uses gestures and body language to show the meaning.
- The teacher uses the projector to show them his ID and says " My name is Abdelrahman" pointing to his name on the ID. - The teacher asks simple CCQs such as " My name is Ahmed?" letting students answer. Then he says: No, my name is Abdelrahman.
Students listen to "the hello song" 2 times. Then the teacher plays it again to make students sing with the song for two times as well. Link: https://youtu.be/To_eXsapXCA
- Students play ball game: Children stand around teacher so that they can catch a soft ball. The teacher throws the ball slowly to each child saying hello and asking “What's your name?”. Child replies. - The teacher starts to say to them "Nice to meet you,...." after finishing the conversation with each of them.
- The teacher put students in pairs and asks them to say hello, ask and respond to " what is your name, and say " nice to meet you". - The teacher make a conversation with a student in front of the whole class using the target language of the lesson. - The teacher writes the forms on the whiteboard to help the students accomplish their task.
- The teacher asks students to record a conversation with anyone using the target language.