Teaching Practice 7
Upper Intermediate level
To provide product writing practice in the context of writing an email of complaint
To enhance their formal email writing skills
Procedure (37-56 minutes)
1. As a group, discuss what could be said in the email of the angry customer. 2. Nominate 2-3 students to share their ideas.
1. INSTRUCTIONS: You have 6 minutes to read the customer complaint email. As you're reading, focus on the transition phrases between the paragraphs. 2. In main group, nominate students to put phrases in proper column. -Example: drag and drop the phrase that would be a greeting for an email. 3. OCFB
1. Meaning: Complaint - a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable -If we're writing a complaint email, we are not happy about a situation. 2. Form: Reexamine the order of paragraphs. 3. Appropriacy: -CCQs: When writing a complaint email, do you have to be formal or informal? Formal. Why? Need to be taken seriously.
1. INSTRUCTIONS: Fill in the blank with the correct option from the list. 2. In BORs, students review answers 3. OCFB, nominate students to share answers. Do you notice a pattern for writing an email? There is a strict order.
1. Share padlet link with group 2. INSTRUCTIONS: Write a complaint email. (8 minutes) 3. Once complete, assign students a peer's email to rate. INSTRUCTIONS: Rate your partners email from 1 to 5 stars. 4. Choose 2-3 student emails to discuss, ask peer why they gave that rating.