TP6 Christian Arias
To provide clarification of language used for asking for permission in the context of making phone calls
to enable Ss time to practice the TL by creating a role play and acting it
Procedure (38-49 minutes)
• T shows the pictures and asks the Ss to guess what do they have in common • Instruction: look at the picture and think, what do they have in common? • T elicits Ss ideas about the picture and waits for Ss to produce. • T starts giving clues to students. Is he crying? What does he want? Is he waiting for something? • T asks Ss to take a screenshot of the slide with the picture and the follow-up questions, and send Ss to a BOR for about 4 minutes tops. • T conducts and OCFB and introduce the context in an individual slide “asking for permission”
• T sets a series of short gist activities. Instruction: listen carefully, focus on how I ask for permission. o ICQ: will you copy? No, / will you listen? Yes, / will you focus on names? No / what will you focus on? Asking for permission. • T plays the first short conversation and asks: Instruction: how did I ask for permission? • T elicits Ss ideas and then shows the answer on an individual slide. T repeats the procedure three times more. • T asks Ss how many ways of asking for permission do we have? And shows the TL in an individual slide.
• T shows the slide in which little by little the information will appear to create a cline showing the appropriacy of the TL starting in informal, and continuing up to formal. • T focuses on Pronunciation as the TL appears on the screen • T sets a short activity to check M(A)FP gives Ss 4 minutes to discuss and answer the questions in groups. • T sets a BOR, Ss work in groups and find the answer to the 4 questions. T conducts and OCFB to show the right answers. • T shows once more the Cline and reviews once again the pronunciation of the TL.
• Instructions: correct the sentences! o Are we discussing? No, / are we checking the sentences? Yes, / if they are bad what do you do? Correct. • T shows the nest slide and asks Ss to correct the mistakes in the sentences. T does the first one so Ss have a clear example of what do they have to do. • T asks Ss to take a screenshot of the sentences to check-in groups. T sends Ss to BOR to solve the activity. • Ss work in groups to solve the activity exchanging information. • T conducts an OCFB and shows the answer to Ss.
• T sets Ss into BOR and asks them to create a conversation using the TL • Instructions: work in groups, create a conversation using the words we learned today. • T gives Ss about 5 minutes to create the role play in groups and then asks Ss to perform their role plays. • T goes around the BOR to see if Ss need him, and to interact whenever is necessary to clarify aspects of the class. • Ss perform their role plays in groups and T conducts an OCFB asking what did they learn from the class.
• T shows Ss’s production throughout the class. • Ss will have the opportunity to correct themselves and learn from each other mistakes. • T tries to work on checking the pronunciation, reformulation, good utterances or bad utterances