Copy of TP8 Second conditional
To provide clarification and practice of second conditional in the context of living with family and imaginary situations
To provide scan and detailed reading practice using a text about living with parents in the context of imaginary situations
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
Show the Ss the pictures of two houses. - Ask Ss: Which of the two houses would you prefer to live in? Why? Give them a minute to think. - Elicit some of the answers.
- Ss have a look at the article very quickly. - How many of the people would like to leave home? - Give Ss 3 mins. - Ss peer check their ideas. - Elicit the number and the names of the people who would like to leave. - Ss read in detail (4 mins) and answer the questions with who in part c. - Ss in pairs, do peer check. - Give them the answer key. - Ss in pairs. - Part D. Tell them to answer the questions with their partners. - Elicit the answers.
- Ask Ss to underline if sentences. 1 min. - Ask them if they know the name of the structure. - Second Conditional or Type 2 - write it on the board. - Elicit the first if sentence and write it on the board (Language analysis) If I had the money, I would move out. If + Subject + verb (past form) + object Subj. + would + verb (base form) - Write If.... and elicit the form from Ss. Write the form on the board.
- Using the example sentence on the board, ask CCQs to clarify the meaning. (Ref. to Vivienne from text) - Will she have the money? (probably not) - Does she have enough money now? (No) - Is it likely that she will have the money soon? (No) - Is she moving out? (No) - Why? (she doesn’t have the money) - Elicit the answers. - When we say If I were a millionaire ....In this structure are we just imagining or is it a real situation? (imaginary) - Ask if they have any questions. Have Ss listen to pronunciation record and repeat the sentences to practice getting the rhythm right.(Display the sentences on WB)
- Ss in pairs will do the Controlled Practice part 1 and 2 - Give them 3 mins for exercise 1 and get them peer check. - Give them 5 minutes for exercise 2, get them peer check. - Show them the answer key - Give them some time to check their answers (Play backrgound music / Song from Beyonce "If I were a boy..." with second conditional lyrics)
- Ss in pairs will do the Semi-Controlled practice HO (Explain that they will do 1 solo and 2 pw) ICQ - Give them 4 mins for exercise 1 and have them start exercise 2 (monitor for misuse TL)
- Ss in pairs. - Demonstrate the activity. - Write ‘be a president' - Elicit how we can make it a second conditional? - If I were a president, I would stop the war. - Ss will do the same with their partners using the prompts given. They can produce more than one sentence for each prompt. - Monitor quietly. - Do not correct the Ss loudly, they might be embarrassed