Copy of Skills lesson: Listening
Beginner, A1 level
In this lesson, my main aim is a listening exercise about a health club. Students will first listen to the conversation for gist, and then they'll listen for specific information to underline, then detail in that they'll need to correct the mistakes in the HO according to what they hear in the conversation.
To practice controlled speaking in the context of exercise schedules. Students will do an information gap activity about Alex's exercise schedule. One student is Alex, and the other asks questions about what Alex does on specific days and times.
Procedure (51-63 minutes)
- Ask sts if they like to exercise. Students raise their hands. - Ask: Where can you exercise? Make sure students understand the word health club with a picture. Elicit health club, drill, write. - Ask them what you can do at a health club, get a few examples. Put pictures of things to do at a health club on the WB. Ask students to try to name the activities in pairs. We'll check answers with the next activity.
- Game: Students are given some pictures and words, and they should match the words with the picture. Have large examples of the pictures and words to the side of the WB. Demo with one picture by getting the students to tell me. - ICQ: Will you match the pictures with the words? (Yes) - First team done matches the big ones on the board. - Show membership card picture. Say: I have this card, and can go to the health club. The card is a membership card. (drill for intonation). I have this card and can go to the health club. I've joined a health club. (Drill) - Do I have to pay? (Yes) This money is called a fee. (drill) When I pay for my membership card, this is a fee. Is the card free, or is there a fee? (Pay a fee) Is the fee expensive? (Yes, normally)
- Students are told they will listen to a conversation, and that they should answer 2 questions: Where are they? What does the man want to do? (They are at a gym/health club, the man wants to join it). I have the questions on the WB from the projector. - ICQs: Will you talk? (No). Are there one or two questions? (2) - After listening, sts. check their answers with a partner. Then we check as a WC.
- Sts are shown the handout for the Abby Health Club, told that they'll now listen again. I say: There are 8 mistakes in this timetable. You should underline the mistakes. (Repeat) - ICQs: Will you speak? (No, listen) How many mistakes are there? (8) And will you underline? (Yes) - Sts listen once again. After the first mistake, pause the recording. Ask where first mistake is, give pen to student who volunteers to underline it. Give if they don't get it. - Sts listen from the beginning again. Monitor. If they really aren't catching the mistakes, switch activity to T/F. Check in pairs, check as a WC. - Next, students will correct the mistakes. Do a demo on the WB (change Tuesday to Thursday). - Sts listen again, check in pairs. Answer key goes up around the room, and students get up to check their answers.
- Sts are now shown Alex’s fitness schedule on the projector briefly. Tell them: I’m Alex. This is my fitness schedule. Move to next projector slide, which shows a blank schedule. Tell them: You don’t know Alex’s schedule (point to projector where there’s the blank timetable) but you want to know. You should ask me some questions. - Pass out the blank HO, 1 per pair. WC is B, I am A (Alex). ICQs: Are you Alex, or am I Alex? (teacher is Alex). - Tell WC: I have 5 exercises I do during the week. What are they? How do you ask me? - Elicit question from WC: What do you do at (10:00am) on (Mondays)? Give them “what”. Finger correction to get “what do you do” then say “time” (give “at” if they don’t get it), then say “day” (give them “on” if they don’t get it). Drill the sentence: What do you do at 10:00am on Mondays? Then write the form on the board: What do you do at _______ on _______(s)? Elicit “time” for first blank (write underneath blank) and “day” for second blank (write underneath). Answer from WC: I do yoga. Drill. Write form on the WB: I _________. Elicit the answers to the blank (verb). Then also write yoga on the blank projector slide for Alex’s timetable. Tell WC to ask you another question. If they hit upon a time & day Alex does nothing, say: Alex doesn't do anything. Write the sentence on the WB, make sure they can understand it’s an alternate answer. - Get partners to be back to back. Demonstrate so that the sit like this before you pass out Alex’s timetable. ICQ: Will you show this to your partner? (No. Secret!) Will you ask questions? (Yes) How many exercises does Alex do? (5) Pass out HO. - Monitor. Write down any mistakes they are making, (lexis, grammar, and pronunciation). If they aren’t understanding and are just writing, collect Alex’s HO and only have one person in the group be Alex – this will be easier to monitor – or if they really don’t understand do it as a WC with the teacher as Alex. - If some pairs/groups finish before, give them Sam’s timetable and a new blank HO to record his schedule. Either do pairs or groups as is appropriate.
- Sts are shown a different timetable for a different gym. I give an example: I run at 11:00am on Wednesdays (pointing to the correct activity on the timetable). I drill the sentence. Elicit the form: I (verb) at (time) on (dayS). - I say two other examples, drill sts. - Sts are asked to write down three different activities they do at this gym using the form. - ICQs: Will you speak or write? (Write) Will you write three or four activities? (3) - Monitor, notes for error correction later. (Spare at least 2 minutes for this.) - If there is time: Next, sts are asked, "How do you ask about my exercise schedule? What is the question?" (What is your exercise schedule?) Drill, write question on WB. - Demo: Ask one st the question. Have them ask another one at a different table. Have them ask another. - Sts should do this activity in their groups. - Monitor for error correction later. (Spare at least 2 minutes for this.)