Upper Intermediate level
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about how people spend their free time in the context of different opinions supported by the experts.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a debate in the context of how free time could be well spend
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T elicit the TL by asking Ss how they usually spend their time when they work or study from home. - Ask Ss "Do you think you have more free time working from office or home?"
- T elicit the vocabulary with context and drill the pronunciation. - Ask CCQs to check their understanding.
- T shows an article with the text body covered and ask Ss to tick on the topics which they think will be in the article by looking at the headline only. - T removes the covered part and Ss will then read the article and practice reading for gist to check if their predictions were correct. - A few questions related to the article will be discuss to check their understanding.
- T sends the HOs to the group chat, Ss will be assigned into 2 groups, A will be reading HO1 and B will be reading HO2. - After reading, Ss will be working in pairs, Ss from A pair up with B in BORS to discuss their article with a list of questions. - Discuss and provide feedback in the main room.
- T shows the title "It's okay to spend free time online" and open for debate. Group A will be supporting the statement while Group B will be opposing. - Ss will be working in group in the BORs to brainstorm the ideas. Time will be given for them to brainstorm in group before debating. - Back to main room, T explains the rules and and ICQs before starting the debate. - Provide feedbacks after the debate.