Copy of Unreal Conditionals Lesson
Upper Intermediate level
To introduce students to, and give them practice using unreal conditionals
To give students the opportunity to practice speaking in the context of a discussion about unreal conditions
Procedure (35-49 minutes)
1. Introduce two colleagues named Monica and Nelson, and ask students' guesses about their conversation. 2. Pre-teach them some of the vocabulary they might need such as, charity, antique, pocket money.
1. Before listening to the track ask the students to have a listen to the dialogue to find out the answers of some questions I will give. 2. The students will listen to a dialogue between two colleagues, where they will be exposed to different forms(affirmative, negative, question) of unreal conditional clauses in a natural flow. 3. After the listening session, elicit answers from the students.
1. Reveal the form of unreal conditionals .
1. Check concept and clarify the meaning of unreal conditions. 2. Do some choral exercises to complete two seperate clauses of conditionals.
1. Let students do Close Up 1 individually and check their answers in pairs.
1. In Close Up 2 and 3, let students work in pairs and discover the rules of conditionals by themselves as much as they can. 2. Support them when needed.
1. Pre-teach vocabulary that will appear on Close Up 4 (e.g. government, palace, law, tax, ban, appoint, minister) 2. Let the students free practice Close Up 4 and 5. 3. Hand the New Vocabulary Sheet out for them to review at home.