TP1 Receptive Skills - Reading
NCE Upper Intermediate level
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about gender gaps and the human brain
To provide speaking practice in the area of sharing opinions and perspectives
To provide clarification of lexis used in reading or discussing the qualities of the mind and the brain
Procedure (38-45 minutes)
- Teacher opens up Lead-In slide with the question "Are men and women naturally better at certain things?" - Teacher introduces topic - Okay, to get started today, I am bring up the hot topic of whether men or women are better at certain things? Teacher reads a few examples from the slide an then gives instructions - I am going to put you into breakout groups and I want you to spend 3 minutes MAX to discuss this with your classmate what things you think men are better at and what things you think women are better at. There is no right or wrong answers.
- Explain to students that before we begin reading the text we want to make sure that a few essential words that they may find difficult are clarified - Teacher copies Google Slides "Pre-Teach Vocab" link into chatbox and asks students to confirm that they see it and that they can open it - T tells students that this is an INDIVIDUAL exercise and that they are being asked to match the 3 words from the lefthand column with the definitions in the righthand column. They have 3 minutes. - ICQ - Individual or group task? how many minutes? - OCFB (open class feedback) and clarifying answers where required.
- T explains to students that they are now going to get to read the text but "...I want you to read the text quickly just to get a general idea of what the article is about". Don't worry about words you don't know, just try to get a general feel for the text - T explains that they need to pick the BEST title for the article from 3 options. - T shares screen and shows Google Form "Gist Task Best Title" - T copies Google Form "Best Title" into chatbox and asks ICQs and confirmation that link works - Ss read and complete task independently - T - After the 4 minutes is up T tells students who their pair S is (Maria your partner is Roberto, Joe your partner is John, etc) and tells them to use the PRIVATE CHAT feature to check their answers with their classmate. They have 2 minutes - OCFB (open class feedback) and clarifying answers where required.
- T sets task by explaining that they are now going to read the same article again but this time read it in greater detail so that they can answer 10 questions on the same Google Form link used in the last exercise. 10 minutes - T shares screen and shows Google Form with the 10 Qs (page 2 of the same link) - Ask ICQs "Are we reading a different article?"...."Are we skimming the text?" "Where are the 10 questions?" - Ss read and complete task independently - T - After the 10 minutes is up T tells students to work with their same pair and to use the PRIVATE CHAT feature to check their answers with their classmate. They have 5 minutes - OCFB (open class feedback) and clarifying answers where required.
- T introduces questions to be discussed in Breakout groups and copies Qs (into chatbox). Asks them to select only to discuss in their breakout room - Ss discuss in Breakout Rooms - T monitors Breakout groups by joining each making note of any errors - OCFB asking a few groups what their opinions were and why? - Delayed Error Correction (DEC) using Zoom White Board