To introduce and provide practice of speaking for fluency in the context of people’s routines
Provide practice in listening for gist.
Procedure (43-65 minutes)
- T shows slide 1 What activities do you do on a typical day? Let ss think about answers for 1 min. - T asks 1 S to answer the question and asks S to ask the question to the T. I cook and eat 3 times a day, I surf, I do homework, I work, I see my friends, I read a book, I wash my clothes. - Ss in BR for 3 mins; Instructions: discuss your ideas with your partner OCFB
- T shows slide 3. - Instructions: listen to the audio and answer the questions. Give ss time to read the questions. - T plays audio - Ask ss to answer in the chat If needed T plays audio 2nd time OCFB
- T shows slide 4. When do we use these phrases? Give ss 1 min to read and answer - T ask ss to answer in the chat. CCQ’s: 1. Are we talking about something that usually happens or are we talking about an activity that we only do once? 2. Are we talking about a pattern or are we talking about something unusual? 3. Do we use these phrases to express our feelings or to tell our routine? - Are these sentences formal or informal? - T shows slide 5. What is the structure? Let ss think about it for 1 min. - Let ss answer in the chat. - T highlights correct answers with colours. - T shows slide 6. Instructions: Listen when I say the sentences. What part is pronounced with a higher voice? T. covers options a, b, c, d. - T says the sentences. Let ss answer in chat - T highlights sentence stress with arrows - T. covers pronunciation. Instructions: Listen and repeat.
- T shows slide 7. - Instructions: Read the sentences and write down your ideas. - T nominates 1 ss to give an example. - Instructions: Practice the conversation. One person is A the other B. Switch after you are ready. - SS in BR for 5 min - T. conducts OCFB
- T. shows slide 8. - What do you do during the week? Here are some ideas of activities. (shows pictures) Instructions: Try again with the next questions. T. nominate 1 ss to demo conversation. T sends questions in chat - Ss in BR for 5 min DEC feedback
- T. shows slide 9. - What do you do during the weekend? 1 min to write down your ideas. Instructions: Try again with the next questions. T sends questions in chat - Ss in BR for 5 min - DEC feedback
- T conducts OCFB following up on the productive stage. - T writes on the screen samples of learners’ production and sets a task in pairs for learners to identify the correct and incorrect sentences and correct the latter ones.