TP8 LP_John Al-Haddad
To introduce and provide practice of writing a short review of a film/book students have seen/read
To provide reading practice for gist and specific information using a sample film review
Procedure (36-44 minutes)
1. T opens up class by sharing screen with Jamboard 2. T gives instructions: "What are your favorite types of books and movies? Why?" 3. T creates BoRs, with 2-3 students per room. Sends Ss to BoRs. 4. T ends BoRs after 2 minutes and Ss return to main group 5. OCFB: T nominates a few Ss to share their thoughts for about 1-2 mins
1. T shares screen of Google Doc with the a model film review. "Here is a sample film review. What is a "review?" (Ss answer and acknowledge). 2. T gives instructions: "Ok, I want you to read this review and answer question A. You have one minute." 3. After one minute, T shares screen of Google Slide (Slide 1) with answers. T confirms students had similar answers. 4. T gives instructions: "Now, go to BoRs. Read the text again and work on questions B and C with a partner. I will send you the document. You have 3 minutes." 5. T sends the Google Doc then sends Ss to BoRs and monitors
1. After Ss return to main group, T shares screen of Google Slide (Slide 2) with answers and let Ss quickly compare answers. Be sure to check "it stars" and "takes place" for meaning. **Ss may not have seen these before. 2. T moves on to Slide 3 with additional useful phrases they can use 3. T asks Ss: "Ok, please match the phrases on the left to their synonyms. You have one minute." 4. After one minute, T confirms answers as a group.
1. T moves on to Slide 4. 2. T says: "Now, in 35-45 words, write a review about a book or film. Use the model and phrases to help you. Please type your review. You have 10 minutes."
1. Once Ss finish writing (after about 10 mins), T gives next instructions: "Ok, now you will go to BoR. Share your reviews in the chatbox. (T shares screen of checklist). Check your partner's review with this checklist. You have 5 minutes!" (Send Ss the checklist) 2. Ss go to BoRs and T monitors in the rooms. T takes notes of writing mistakes. 3. After 5 minutes, Ss return to main group. T asks Ss: "Please send me your checked reviews." 4. T quickly looks over reviews and selects a few for DEC. Highlights good and incorrect use of TL. T has Ss discuss mistakes they notice.