Speaking for accuracy and fluency using the verb 'to be'
Beginners, A1 level
To provide practice speaking with increasing accuracy and fluency using the verb form 'to be'
Procedure (37-48 minutes)
1. The T gestures to the WB language and signals students to stand up for PW mingling. A. Hello ………………, how are you? B. I’m fine, thanks. And you? A. Fine, thanks. The T covers the WB and students continue. The T monitors use of language and corrects for accuracy: pronunciation, and any omitted language.
CONTEXT use of WB Photo of 2 people greetıng each other. MEANING use of WB INTRODUCE TL - T-S, Ss seated. 1. The T refers to the language on the white board (the same as the activity cards handed out for the next activity) The T asks the Q. and elicits the answer from students. Card Set 1 Card Set 2 Question Answer Name Name What is your name? My name is ................. City or Country Where are you from? I’m from ............... Nationality Are you Turkish? Yes, I’m .......... No, I’m not ......... Is your teacher Turkish? Yes, she / he is..... No, she / he isn’t ...... Is your teacher British? Days Is it Monday today? Yes, it’s ........... today. No, it isn’t ............ today. Is it Wednesday today?
2. The T introduces the activity by calling up a S and modelling dialogue using the card sets. There are 2 sets of cards labelled 1 and 2, for question and answer. 3. Chesting: T explains the activity and gives out the cards. PW S-S practise. 4. Students swop the cards and practise the dialogue.
5. The T stops the Ss and elicits each student to answer the questions. The T and Ss check accuracy of pronunciation and T models using natural language. Choral drilling. The T highlights use of is and are Q. and A. Forms. The T highlights use of apostrophe for contracted form.
6. The T takes away set 2 and gives every student set 1. The T gestures for students to stand up and PW mingle so that each student gets a chance to ask and answer the questions. Students can refer to set 2 on table when needed.
7. The T gives out the matching HO. Students work individually Ss check in pairs.
8. Chesting: T explains the close activity and gives out 9. Ss listen to recording 1.54 and correct answers.
10. The T uncovers the WB and asks students Are and Is questions and elicit Ss to ask questions around the class. Ss use prevıously learned days, numbers, colours, nationalities and jobs and Ss can extend as they wish.
11. The T reviews TL on WB. The T ask questions about the pictures using the Q. forms and Ss answer. The Ss are invited to ask each other questions. Use of previously learned vocab. Jobs Who is / are Days When is Colours, numbers What is / are City, countries Where is
12 Teacher give the WC 1 sentence packet, one at a time to put on wall in correct order. The S tell the T when finished who checks with Ss Is this correct? Are you correct?
13 Chesting: T explains the information gap activity and gives out the information. Ss work in pairs walking around the room answering the questions on the wall ORALLY from prevıous actıvıty.
T gives out the HO and explains the Domino game extension activity. ACCURACY FINAL PRACTISE students match the Q. and A. form. This can also be sent home for review practise.
Teacher: Thank you students. Students: Thank you, see you tomorrow or see you on Tuesday.