TP6 Functional Language
To provide exposure to functional language to give opinions and to try to change someone´s opinion.
To provide listening practice using an audio about giving and changing someone´s opinion in the context of education.
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T will let Ss know the lesson will be a functional language lesson. - T will share on Zoom (sharing the T screen) a Google Slides presentation that will have the questions "What is more important for a teacher to be, creative, strict or give motivation? What are important qualities in a teacher?" - T will demo what answers are expected. - T will nominate Ss to answer. - T will ask Ss follow up questions to build rapport.
- T will share screen to a Google Forms page with a questionnaire about two people engaging a conversation about education. - Ss will read for 2 minutes. -T will share an audio and have the Ss listen to the conversation. - Ss will answer the questionnaire by themselves. - T will nominate Ss to answer and justify their answers.
- T will share screen to a Google Jamboard presentation to help cover MFPA. - T wil cover meaning by having Ss categorize the phrases. T will ask Ss where they would place the following phrases depending on if they are ´Giving an opinion´or ´Trying yo change someone´s mind´. Phrases: ´Well, you´ve got a point, but´, ´No, but look´, ´Personally I think´, ´Well, I have to say that for me´ and ´Yes, but on the other hand. - T will share link to a Google Jamboard presentation for MFPA activities. - T will pair Ss, via Zoom breakout rooms, and have Ss match the phrases based on how appropiate each phrase is. - T will cover Form by having Ss analyze the sentences and structure the sentences in pairs. - T will ask with what words the words in // can be replaced with. Ex. /think/ can be replaced with believe, seem, know. /No/ can be replaced with yes. - T will cover pronunciation by having Ss listen to a model of the sentence and have them place stress corresponding to intonation. T will cover connected speech and drill Ss.
- T will share link to a Google presentation. - Ss will see phrases with blank areas and also words to fill out the blank spots.. - T will have Ss work in pairs, through Zoom´s breakout rooms and share answers. - Ss will share answers, thus solve the activity as a group.
- T will share screen to a Google Jamboard presentation. - T will instruct Ss that they will be having a debate. - Group 1 will defend strict lesson plans and no creativity. Whilst group 2 will defend creative lesson plans, - T will demo what answers to expect from the Ss. - Ss will work in pairs, using Zoom breakout rooms, and discuss their initial points of views. - Ss will come back to the main room and start the debate with language that they learn in the lesson. - T will nominate Ss to give their opinions during the debate. - T will monitor, looking throughout this stage and look for errors to be correctly adressed in the next stage.
- T will share screen via Zoom - Ss will be able to see some sentences T observed from the previous stage. - T will ask Ss what they think the mistakes are and provide the apporpiate correction to the mistakes.