Upper Intermediate level
To introduce and practice present and past habits, repeated actions and states.
To provide students with reading and speaking activities to practise with the target language.
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
• Introduce the topic • Ask ss: What habits have you developed during quarantine? Have you dropped any habits? Why?
• Instructions : show the form, pair ss up to check their answers through private messages. • Send the Google form [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeiAzoNelP8S8YKaUaxsCJ_F8xsvT2kYZ1BlWj8QkBadItJPQ/viewform?usp=sf_link] • OCFB : check answers briefly
• Instructions : show ss the form, split them into groups of 3 and have them work in break out rooms answering the questions together. • Send the Google form [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSpCCw-Au21Hl-LhSAwiwW8cDwnZxqHN6XryNoYf_4zwgEBA/viewform?usp=sf_link] • Monitor and take note of any errors • OCFB : briefly check the answers by asking CCQ's • When do we use 'used to' and when do we use 'would'? (repeated actions and states, only repeated actions) • We normally use the present simple in combination with what? (adverbs of frequency and expressions of time) • In what situations do we use the present continuous? (When something annoys us or is repeated more than usual.) • Can we will + infinitive with state verbs in this context? (No) • When do we use 'used to' and when do we use 'use to'? (used to : affirmative, use to : negative and questions) • Does the adverb of frequency go before the main verb or after? (Before, but when it's 'be' after.)
• Instructions : show the form, pair ss up again to have them check their answers in private messages • Send Google form [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdlm3csIv8RibwVabRcyyWaVqgBBDmTGlsowJ4abRlcCXAEUA/viewform?usp=sf_link] • OCFB : check answers together
• Instructions : show the form, split into groups and have the ss discuss a set of questions in break out rooms • Send Google form [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGtHcmFUnVv73O2zKmjSrEpEpmGRN8p9NHn7UN7vZ2Xnww2g/viewform?usp=sf_link] • Monitor and take note of any errors • DEC • OCFB : final comments