Skill lesson (Reading)
• By the end of the lesson; Ss will have been provided with a gist and reading for detail tasks in the context of ‘food: Facts and Myths’, also they will be able to increase and reinforce their reading and speaking skills with their peers.
• In this reading lesson, the related tasks will be supported by lexis when introducing them to the pre- teach vocabulary which will also prepare the Ss for the control practice stage where they will do a detail reading task, T will encourage speaking helping to support the lesson further.
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
• T Has learners discuss in pairs, 1 or 2 questions related to the topic of the lesson. Ex. What type of food do you know? Ex. Is it good or bad for you? • T scaffolds the task by allowing learners one min. to think about their answers and make some notes. • Instructions: Discuss in pairs your answers. (Pair / 2 min.) • Learners work in pairs in breakout rooms and discuss both questions. T puts the questions in the chat. Ex. What type of food do you know? Ex. Is it good or bad for you? • T conducts OCFB. (T will have a slide already prepare for it, as an example)
• T shares a link of the text with the TL to learners, the task is to identify the meaning of the TL, and so Ss will need to match the word with the definition. https://forms.gle/DdJfJic26vnouMoN6 • Instructions: Select the correct answer. (Individually / 2 min.) Ex. Choose only UNHEALTHY food: • DEMO: T demos the task or asks ICQs. ICQ: What are you going to do? (Select the correct answer) • T monitors the task. (Takes notes) • They compare answers in pairs (Via Private Chat)(1 min) • T conducts OCFB. • T covers MFP for TL (Healthy, unhealthy, grilled, and nuts). MEANING CCQs: Is healthy a bad thing? No CCQs: Is unhealthy a good or bad thing? Bad thing CCQs: Our body needs healthy or unhealthy food? healthy CCQs: Which of this is a grill? (Picture stove) (Picture Grill) CCQs: Is this a grilled fish? (Picture Grilled fish) CCQs: Is this a grilled meat? (Picture Grilled meat) CCQs: Are peanut and almonds, NUTS? YES CCQs: Are Sunflower seeds, NUTS? NO CCQs: Are Pumpkin Seeds, NUTS? NO FORM: • T covers Form. • Adjective or Noun healthy adjective Unhealthy adjective Nut Noun grill Adjective Pronunciation: • T models the questions then elicits relevant features of pronunciation and supports them visually. healthy How many syllables in healthy? 2 syllables Stressed syllable in healthy: health-y How to pronounce healthy: hel-thee unhealthy How many syllables in unhealthy? 3 syllables Divide unhealthy into syllables: un-health-y How to pronounce unhealthy: uhn-hel-thee nuts How many syllables in nuts? 1 syllable Divide nuts into syllables: nuts Syllable stress: nuts How to pronounce nuts: nuhts Grilled How many syllables in grilled? 1 syllable Divide grilled into syllables: grilled Syllable stress: grilled How to pronounce grilled: grild Drill chorally and individually
• T shares a link of a text to learners, the task is to match the title to the correct paragraph. https://forms.gle/2io1qCvadjuejVCh7 • Then learners check the answers in pairs (via private messages) • T conducts OCFB
• T shares a link that prompts students to read for detail information from a text with the TL. https://forms.gle/a8AC1Ur2KPpzArsT7 • Instructions: Read for details. • DEMO: T demos the task or asks ICQs ICQs (What are you going to do? Read for details) • Learners do this individually. • Then learners check the answers in pairs (in breakout rooms) • T conducts OCFB
- T reinforces the lesson by having learners work on a communicative task for learners to use the TL fluently. (use breakout rooms) - Instructions: Ask your partner the next questions and discuss them. - What type of food healthy food do your family members like? - What type of food unhealthy food do they like? - DEMO: T demos the task or asks ICQs. ICQ: What are you going to do? Ask questions. ICQ: Are you going to tell you’re your answer to your classmates? Yes - Learners work in pairs and discuss. (3 min) - T monitors T conducts OCFB and DEC