Upper Intermediate level
To provide Ss with the meaning, form and pronunciation of the similarly used phrases 'be used to' and 'get used to' in the context of living abroad.
Ss will have also practised reading for gist. Ss will also have the opportunity to practise speaking and producing the new language.
Procedure (41-49 minutes)
- T shows the Ss the different things you do when you visit a place for the first time (with accompanying pictures) - Visit the famous sights - Try the local food - Go to museums - Take pictures of interesting things - Go shopping - Learn about local customs - Ss work in b/o rooms to put the activities in order of importance - T conducts OCFB and writes any good vocabulary on the screen from Ss’ ideas. - Instructions: Here are 6 things you can do when you visit a new country, city or place. Put them in order of importance for you. - T ask Ss the question ‘How long do you have to be somewhere before you can really understand the customs of a culture?’
- T shows Ss the text about Lottie’s experience in Mongolia - Ss have already seen this text so I will ask them what they remember. However, it’s important to remember that some Ss might not have been in the class. - Ss read the text quickly and answer the questions: - What surprised Lottie about Mongolia? - What was difficult for Lottie to become accustomed to? - Instructions: Hopefully most of you will recognise this text from another lesson! Can you remember anything about Mongolia? I would like you to read the text quickly – if you are reading for the first time, think about whether Lottie’s experience was positive or negative. Answer the 2 questions on the screen. - T conducts OCFB and makes notes on the screen.
- T uses the slide to introduce categorising activity. - Ss look at the 6 phrases in bold and decide if they describe something familiar, unfamiliar or the process of becoming familiar. - Ss read instructions - Instructions: Looking at the sentences in bold in the text, please decide whether they are describing something familiar, unfamiliar or a process of becoming familiar. Work in b/o rooms for 3 minutes and work through the sentences with a partner. - Ss complete activity in b/o rooms. - T shows answers on the screen. - Using the next 6 slides T asks the CCQs to the group and they answer together.
- T shows Ss the sentences on the next slide and the graph. - Using the next 5 slides, Ss practise the form and meaning by applying their knowledge and choosing which coloured line goes with each example of be used to and get used to - T acknowledges pronunciation in this section – used-to
- T introduces sentence completion activity via Google forms (activity 6a, page 19) - Ss work in pairs in b/o rooms and complete the sentences together using the options. - Instructions: Complete the sentences by choosing the best option of be used to or get used to. Work together with a partner to complete the google forms. - T checks with Ss with OCFB and shows answers on the screen so Ss can check – answering concept questions as we go.
- T shows Ss the slide with different flags and they identify the countries (1 minute) - Ss work in pairs in b/o rooms and choose a country. They have 5 mins to create some sentences about their experience in the new country. - Students read instructions allowed - Instructions: You can see 7 countries on the screen. In pairs you will choose a country and create some sentences. - After, Ss return to the main zoom room and read their sentences to the class. The other Ss guess which country they have described. - T conducts OCFB
- T conducts DEC to summarise ideas and follow up on the productive stage. - Note on the screen, one or two sentences for Ss to correct themselves