Copy of Positive and Negative Present Simple Verbs
To provide clarification and practice of the negative and positive forms of Present Simple verbs.
To provide speaking practice so students can become fluent with using positive and negative forms of Present Tense verbs.
Procedure (35-48 minutes)
- Hang Lead-in Activity picture and ask Ss what group of people do and don't do - Ss discuss in pairs; write interesting answers on board - Put pictures of vocabulary words on WB - Ask CCQs about each
- Demo: Write a sentence on WB and underline the verb 1) I work for a car company. - Instructions: "Work with your partner." Pass out HO 3a - Check in pairs - For FB, ask WC the answers
- Give instructions: "Write sentences in chart. Work with your partner." - Pass (HO 3b). Monitor to check. - While Ss work, draw chart 3b on WB (use different colors for "don't" and verbs). Write "Subject + (don't) + verb + ..." on top of the chart - Point out that "don't" is "do not" with fingers - Instructions: "Listen and repeat." Play R4.3
- Write the following vocabulary words on the right side of the WB (like, have, live, work, study) - Draw a (+) Positive / (-) Negative chart and give an example by putting "like" in positive and eliciting "don't like". Continue eliciting the rest of the vocabulary words. - Chest HO 5. Give instructions: "Fill blanks with the positive (point to WB) or negative forms of these (point to vocabulary) words. Work with your partner." - Check with recording R4.4 "Listen and check."
- Drill vocabulary words chorally and individually - Mark the stresses of the vocabulary words on the vocab. list (right side of WB)
- Draw the (+) and (-) form chart - Demo: Write the following sentences on WB 1) I live in Istanbul. 2) I play the guitar. - Make a tick next to the first sentence. - Make an 'X' next to the 2nd sentence and change it to " I don't play the piano." - Chest HO 6 and give instructions: "If it's true for you, tick (gesture). If it's false, write "I don't ..." (point to (-) WB sentence example). Work alone; no partners." - Pass out HO 6
- Demo with 2 students: S1 reads their 1st sentence; S2 reads 1st sentence. Ask WC if they're the "same or different". S1 and S2 read their 2nd sentence; ask WC if "same or different." - Tell Ss to "Compare sentences. Are they the same, or different?" Put Ss into new pairs.
- Demo on WB. Write the following sentences on WB. 1) I have 5 cats. 2) I study everyday. 3) I don't like chocolate. - Ask Ss if sentences are "True or False," and write "true" or "false" next to them. - Instructions: "Write 6 sentences about you; 3 true, 3 false. Work alone; no partners."
- Demo: "S1, read your 1st sentence. S2, is it true or false? Now S2, read your sentence. S1, is it true or false?" - Students mingle and ask each other questions