Upper Intermediate level
To provide clarification of verb and preposition phrases. By the end of the lesson, Ss will have learnt and practised 6 verbs with prepositions in the context of crime.
Ss will have also practised reading for gist with short crime cases.
Procedure (39-33 minutes)
- T shows the first picture and asks Ss what they think the topic will be - T displays pictures of 2 crimes on the screen and elicits ideas from Ss about what might be happening. - Instructions: Here are 2 pictures with 2 different crimes. What do you think is happening in each picture? - T conducts OCFB and writes any good vocabulary on the screen from Ss’ ideas.
- T shows Ss the 2 different texts - Ss read the different sections of the texts individually and answer the questions (5a) - Divide sSs into 2 groups and put names on the screen - Instructions: We are going to look at 2 short texts about a crime that was committed. Group 1, you will read Case 1 and Group 2, you will read Case 2. You have 4 minutes to read the case and answer the questions on the screen - In groups, students explain the texts to each other using the information from their questions.
- T introduces google Jamboard and Ss work in groups to organise the verbs and prepositions - Instructions: Here you can see some of the words from the cases. Organise the verbs and prepositions together and write the piece of information from the text using the text tool - There will be more than one option. We are looking for the example from the texts. - Ss complete jamboard in b/o rooms. - T checks answers on the screen and elicits the meaning, form and pronunciation. - Using the next 6 slides T asks the CCQs to the group and they answer together. - T revisits MFP during this section
- T introduces sentence completion activity (activity 7a, page 29) - Ss read through sentences individually and complete the sentences – they may have to adapt the verb to the correct tense. - Instructions: Complete the sentences by filling in the gap with the correct form of the verb in brackets. Add the correct preposition. - If time, Ss check in pairs in b/o rooms (2 mins) - T checks with Ss with OCFB and shows answers on the screen so Ss can check.
- Ss answer the questions together in b/o rooms - Instructions: Now answer the questions together with your partner. Make sure to answer with full sentences and use the verbs with prepositions that we have been practising. - Example: 1. Yes I have, I protested against the increase in university fees in the UK a few years ago. They raised the fees for British students from 3,000 pounds to 9,000 pounds! - Ss talk in b/o rooms. - T conducts OCFB
- T conducts DEC to follow up on the productive stage and highlight any errors. - Note on the screen, one or two sentences for Ss to correct themselves