Speaking Lesson 'Office trouble'
B2 - upper intermediate level
Free speaking for fluency in form of an interview about office troubles
Reading for details (role cards) and using the functional language of modals and phrases of permission, obligation & prohibition
Procedure (40-38 minutes)
- t sets the scene - t tells students about office problems by giving an example about her life as teacher at a private university - t uses functional languae as model Example: 'I am not allowed to drink alcohol in front of my students.' - wc brainstorming on office problems - t collects on board - t puts students in groups of 2/3 - t gives instructions: Think about 2-3 possible solutions for office problems - t collects ideas on board
- t explains the context: An employer has problems with his staff. They called the local newspaper and complained about him. Now reporters want to interview both sides. - t groups students into bosses, staff, reporter 1, reporter 2 - t gives instructions: I will hand out these role cards to you. Read the role cards. - t hands out role cards - ss read role cards - t gives instructions: Bosses and Staff: In your groups, decide about what do you want to tell to the reporters. I will give you some prompts. Look at the prompts and prepare. Reporters: In your groups, decide about what do you want to ask the bosses and staff. I will give you some prompts. Look at the prompts and prepare. - t hands out prompts to bosses, staff, reporters - t monitors and helps
- t puts students into pairs: boss - reporter 1 staff - reporter 2 - t gives instructions: Reporter: Interview your opposite. Ask your questions. Take notes about their answers. Bosses/ Staff: Answer the reporters questions. Tell them what you want to say.
- t stops the first round - t asks collects some answers from reporter 1 and reporter 2 of the same group on the board - t elicits reported speech - t writes on board: 'Your boss said that ....' 'Your employee said that ....' Reporters: Change your interviewee. Look at the answers you got before. Now you want to ask .... Change or adjust your questions. - t gives 1 minute prep - t helps and assists - t gives instructions Now interview your new interviewee.
- t puts students in new groups of 3 and 4 - t gives instructions: Think of all the problems you listened to. Now, try to find 4-5 solutions for this problem. Write them down as new office rules! Think as yourself! - ss discuss - t hands out colored paper - wcfb on the new office rules
- t writes 3 sentences with mistakes and 3 examples of good language use on the board - t does wc error correction - t elicits mistakes and corrects them