Happiness, the usage of gerunds
Pre-intermediate level level
• For the students to learn how to use gerunds in the context of describing happiness.
• For the students to practice speaking in the context of happiness.
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- T introduces the context of the lesson 'Happiness' and what it represents. -T asks the students about the things that could possibly make them happy. -T gives examples of his/her own for Ss to start brainstorming. -Ss discuss what makes them happy in pairs/groups in breakout rooms. -Ss discuss it with Ss and T.
- T displays pictures and tries to elicit the context of each picture. - T asks Ss to give examples; T puts the word in a sentence in case they couldn't. - T drills the new words. Ss try to say words correctly.
-T displays exercise B on page 56, alongside the illustrations and text for the Ss to read. -Ss are given some time to read and tick the ones that match them. -Ss discuss what matches their preferences with other Ss in breakrooms. -Ss discuss it with T briefly. -T displays slide 3 and asks Ss about the verb that follows FINISH.
-T displays page 138 (grammar bank slide 10) and explains the three types of gerund usage. -T try to give examples of each usage. -T displays slide 11, showing Ss the spelling rule of 'ing'. -T displays exercise A on page 139(slide12) and asks the students to take a screenshot and work in pairs in breakrooms. -Ss answer the exercise in turns and T confirms.
- T displays slide 13 and try to elicit what the Ss learned. -Ss try to give more examples for each usage. -T displays slide 14 and answers it briefly with Ss.
-T displays slide 15 containing two discussion questions for Ss. -Ss discuss in pairs/groups as T subtly monitors Ss. -T steps in if needed only.
-T displays slide 15 (page 158 part 2) for ss to practice even more. -Ss answer in turns as T confirms the answers.