Lesson plan of TP2 from Jack
Upper Intermediate level
To provide clarifications of 7 phrasal verbs in the context of talking about money.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a Make the choice and state the reasons in the context of Best and worst way of making extra money.
Procedure (36-46 minutes)
1. Greetings 2. Lead-in: a. Attention grabber: T asks Ss who wants to earn some extra money and get some feedback. b. Shows pictures in Google jam and encourage students to move the stick to match the picture. Asks them to think about what plans they could have to make extra money as well. c. Have Ss share their thoughts in simple words in the chat box. (If Ss don't respond well T nominate one strong student to respond) d. T comments quickly on the messages or responses and tell them they get to pick their favorite one from the list in the later part of the lesson and transit to next stage.
1. Gist reading task: a. Explain the task: (2 min) 1) Read the dialogue individually within 2 mins. (provide Ss the text with the link of Google form) 2) Discuss the answers to the questions (the reason of your answers) in BOR and submit the agreed answers. b. T do ICQs (quickly go over the below): nominate one student to answer (1 min) Are you going to read or discuss first? (read first) Should you submit the answers before having discussions with your partner? (No, after) What should be done after your discussion? (choose the answer of each question and click the submit) c. Send Ss the text link for reading and task. (2 min) d. Group and send Ss to BOR and go around for monitoring. (2 min) d do OCFB (2 min)
1. Based on the response from last task T asks Ss why they could understand the text well even with some missing words on it. Elicit the concept of preposition from Ss by asking what they think the part of speech of these missing words are or what those words could be. 2. Comments on the response and show Ss the complete version of the text with phrasal verbs of TL highlighted. (slides needed) 3. Briefly explain the concept of phrasal verbs and move to clarification stage.
1. Show related text sentences and call on one or two Ss to answer CCQ to check their understanding. (1 min) 2. Try to elicit before give the meaning of each TL. 3. Show the form of TL and let Ss read out the sentences, clear out. 4. Model and drill the pronunciation of each item.
1. Have Ss do a google form matching exercise. (2 min) 2. Peer checking in BOR (2 min) 3. ICQs: Hong long do you have for doing the exercise? and for peer checking? (1 min) 4.OCFB (3 min)
1. Explain the task: (1min) a. Tell Ss to discuss the best and worst way of making extra money from the results of lead-in stage. They have 6 minutes. b. Before ending the task Ss should share their choices in message box. 2. ICQ checking: (1 min) What do you need to talk about in the BOR? What do you need to send in the message box? How long do you have for this discussion? (6 mins) 3. Group Ss to BOR for discussion and go around for monitoring.(6min) 4. Do OCFB (1 min) 5. End the lesson