To provide scanned and detailed information about the reading in the context of optimism and pessimism and practice new vocabulary
To provide their viewpoints regarding defensive pessimsim and understanding the meanings and use of the word 'wrong' in different contexts
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
1. T will show Ss a slide with a picture of a stick person. One has a a heart symbol ♡ to represent the optimist. The ohter has a realistic human heart to represent the realist. The second picture will show three classes, one glass 'half empty' (pessimist), one 'half full' (optimist), the other just a glass in equal measures (realist) 2. T will ask Ss questions from the first slide and ask if it is always realistic or useful to be an optimist. 3. T will elicit Ss to say what call a person who thinks like this? (realist)
1. T will instruct Ss to look at the photo and of the girl and discuss whether they think she is an optimist or pessimist (pessimist) 2. Ss will give their answer and explanation and discuss it as a class ======================= 5. T will give instruct Ss to match the words Defensive, Strategy, Results, In advance, Situation. Prepared and Anxiety to their definitions 6. T will instruct Ss to answer the matching activity in breakout rooms IF there are enough students (more than 4) 7. T will ask ICQ to Ss asking 'what will we be during during breakout sesion 8. T will reveal the vocabulary words with their definitions in an answer key and drill pronunciation with the class and focus on any individual Ss if necessary.
1. T will instruct Ss to read the article (3-4 mins) and tell Ss to answer what is 'defensive pessimism' and ask Ss ICQ's about what we will do during this tasks 2. Ss will read then elicit from the Ss what is 'defensive pessimism' (slide 5, exercise b) 3. T will concept check Ss to provide further details by asking (1) how defensive pessimism leads to positive results and (2) how it differs from regular pessimism in breakout rooms (if there are enough Ss present) 4. Ss will share answers with T
1. T will show Ss slide with exercise c and instruct Ss to reread the article and fill in the missing word (wrong) 2. T will show Ss the next slide (exercise d) and elicit Ss the meaning of each sentence with the word 'wrong' in each context 3. T will show the answer keys after each item 4. T will show the next slide and ask Ss to look at the photo of a man who is concern about missing his fligh 5. T will instruct Ss to discuss solutions for this situation in breakout rooms and how to avoid these problems
1. T will show Ss question on slide 13/exercise F and ask SS if they think defensive pessimism is a good and if they can think of any situations where they had to behave in this way 2. T will instruct Ss to discuss these questions in breakout rooms and T will monitor the interactions and follow it up with ICQ's (what will we be discussing in pairs?) 3.Ss will share their viewpoints coming out of breakout session 4. T will show final slide for additional discuss if there is enough remaining time and ask Ss if they agree or disagree with the quote and discuss it as a whole class