listening in the context of the most honest cities in the world
pre- intermediate (A 2) level
Students will be able to practice listening skill in the context of the most honest cities in the world: They will be able to respond to the different questions about the most honest cities text and audio part, and they will be able to expand on what they have learned in follow up part.
They will learn some new words and superlative adjectives by describing pictures. ('the most', 'the least') in the context of the most honest cities in the world. They will be able to use them in discussion part as follow up.
Procedure (40-46 minutes)
- T shows 1 interesting pictures about a lost wallet in order to engage ss's mind and motivate them, T elicits their ideas about picture. - T elicits their ideas by asking some interesting questions in lead-in part : ( Have you ever lost your wallet in your city? / what happened with it? could you find it? How?/ In your city if someone finds a wallet what will he/she do with it? ) page 1 and 2 in the slides.
- T shows a vocabulary one by one in the slide - T elicits their ideas and wants them to match it to the appropriate definition - T checks the meaning by asking CCQs - T asks them to drill these words by repetition - T shows the written form to them and phonetics - T shows the stress of the words: ( ECDWS) - T gives some controlled practice about matching the synonym words that they have learned recently to do in pairs, - T shows the answer key - T shows slide which is about 'the most' and 'the least' with examples and describing by pictures, - T elicits their ideas from above examples and appropriate pictures.
- T gives SS time to read about the experiment by themselves - T gets SS to explain how the experiment worked in pairs. - T elicits from the class how the experiment worked.
- T shows ranking things in order with example - T elicits SS idea about the point by examples - T clarifies ranking things in order again in a short time - T tells SS they are going to listen to a reporter talking about the results of the experiment. - T tells SS they must listen and rank 9 of the cities in 'b' in the correct order - T plays the audio the whole way through for SS, just to listen - T plays it again and gets SS to complete the task - T gets them in pairs to compare their answers - T shows the answer key
- T tells SS they are going to listen to the interview again - T tells them but this time you need to answer questions 1 and 2 - T plays it again for clarification - T gets SS to compare with a partner - T shows the AK
- T gets SS in pairs to thinks about their city " Do you think it would come in the top three ( about honesty) in the bottom three or in the middle? Why?" - T gets some feedback