To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about an event in the context of a holiday trip
To provide practice of holiday words in the context of a trip
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- Show the students the picture from the text - T writes questions on whiteboard: Where are they? Why do you think they are in that place? Have you ever been skiing/snowboarding/etc? (Jamboard) - T elicits a few ideas from learners. - Learners work in pairs and discuss. - T conducts OCFB and writes learners’ ideas on the board.
- T gives Ss link to Jamboard with words and definitions. Learners need to match. They do it in pairs in breakrooms. - Instructions: Match the words in the box with the definitions. - T conducts OCFB and for each word he covers MPF. - Snowboarding CCQs: Is it a sport that we do on the snow or on the water? Snow Pronunciation: /ˈsnəʊˌbɔːdɪŋ / Form: noun - To manage CCQs: Does it take effort to do something? Yes Pronunciation: / tə ˈmænɪʤ/ Form: verb - Alright CCQs: If we say “she’s alright” do we mean she is ok, or she might not be well? She is ok Pronunciation: /ɔːlˈraɪt/ Form: adjective - Suddenly CCQs: Does something happen quickly and unpredictable? Yes Pronunciation: /ˈsʌdnli/ Form: adverb
- Instructions: Read the text and answer the questions. - ICQs: Are we reading for much detail or just the main idea? Main idea - Learners read and answer individually. - Check answers in pairs and compare with what Ss said during the Lead-in. - T conducts OCFB
- Instructions: Read again and answer the questions - T demos the first one. - Learners answer individually - Check answers in pairs - T conducts OCFB
- Instructions: Read once again, paying more attention to the text. Decide if the statements are True, False or Not Given. - T demos question. - Learners listen and answer individually - Check answers in pairs - T conducts OCFB
- Instructions: Ask Ss about a time during their hoidays in which they have an anecdote to tell. Ask Ss to write a short email to one of their classmates. - Individually, learners prepare ideas. - T demos - T scaffolds the task by eliciting some useful language it can be used to complete the task. - T demos the task with one learner. - Learners work in pairs and debate. - Learners switch pairs as many times as possible as time allows.