Vocab- Homonyms and Homophones
Upper Intermediate level
To provide clarification of homonyms and homophones words in the context of word play
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in a homonyms and homophones words in the context of word play conversations
Procedure (43-56 minutes)
- T present a joke- what the Egg said to the fork? - SS should try to guess the answer, after 1 min trying T shows the slide with the Answer- I am going to beat you (beat means win and stir fast)
- Ss are showed a slide with the words Right, fine, mean, park, fun, glasses and asked to individually work on their own to find out the meaning. (they will have 2 min) - SS are going to listen a audio(30 sec) and ask write down the words they listened. -SS will be send in to group to check their answers ( 3 min) -SS when get back will have the AK.
- T will present a slide divided in 2 homonyms and homophones and elicit from SS what they mean. - SS will get the explanation of what is homonyms and homophones made by their peers. - T will elicit and concept check both and give examples to help them if necessary. - Ss will do exercises 5(homonyms) and 7(homophones) in this stage.
- T give them exercise 4 to be completed in 3 min, in to groups (homonyms) - Ss will get the answers with the audio (1min10s) - T give them exercise 6 to be completed in 3 min, in to groups - SS get the feedback in the main room.
- SS will be divided in 2 groups, they will have 5 min to come up with at least one joke using homonyms( more the merrier); and discuss a possible/fictional or a real situation if use the wrong word (homophones) (preferably in English). - Ss back from the groups should tell the joke and the situation to the class, If they do not came up with anything T will ask for examples in their L1.