Somewhere to live
By the end of the lesson, students will be familiarized with the target vocabulary (famous, private, government, wedding, state, visitor, building, public, guest, first, second and third). They will be able to understand a passage where these words pass and answer the questions asked related to that passage.
The students will also have the opportunity to talk about the place they want to live in most in freer speaking activity.
Procedure (41-53 minutes)
- T shows the Ss three famous house pictures and asks them to talk to their partners about them. -T elicits the answers from the class. -T shows them the answers.
T elicits the target words "famous, building,president, government, wedding, public, visitor and guest" from the class. T concept checks the Ss. CCQs: 1) Does everyone know these houses? 2) So these houses are ...? #famous 3) What do we call these houses? #building 4) Who lives in the White House? #Obama 5) Who is Obama? #the president of the USA 6) Does Obama have a political party? #Yes 7) Do they control the country? #Yes 8) What do we call this group of people? #government. - For the rest (wedding, public, visitor and guest), T uses pictures to elicit the target vocabulary. She drills after each word and provides a written record including the parts of speech and phonemic transcriptions. - T shows the Ss some pictures related to target vocabulary. She asks the class to guess the word. If the time permits, T repeats the activity several times.
- T asks the Ss to guess if the information about the White House on the H/O is true or false. - She gives the first H/O. - Ss check their answers in pairs. - T gets class feedback.
- T asks Ss to read the passage to check their answers. - She gives the H/O #2. - Ss check their answers in pairs. - T gets the class feedback. - Ss are given the answers.
- T asks Ss to find the specific information given within the text and write it down. - Ss check their answers with their partners. - T gives them the answer key.
- T asks students to read the passage again for details and answer the questions. - Ss compare their answers with their friends. - T gets a W/C feedback. - T gives them the answers.
- T puts Ss into groups of three. - T asks them to discuss and describe the house they stay in. - She takes notes of the Ss mistakes while monitoring.
Give students feedback about the mistakes they made during the speaking activity.