Upper intermediate level
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about worst case scenerios in the context of what to do in these cases.
To provide listening practice using a text about danger situations in the context of worst-case scenarios.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of worst-case scenarios.
To provide clarification and practice of danger lexis in the context of worst-case scenarios.
Procedure (28-37 minutes)
• T shares screen to present visual support. T shows 4 sub-titles and asks students to discuss some questions. Which text do you think the items in the box relate to? Do you think they are useful or dangerous in that situation? • Students work in pairs/groups in breakout rooms and discuss. • T conducts OCFB by listening to a few contributions.
• T shares a screen for visual support. T shows 7 items sentences in the Google Form to cover the MEANING of the target lesson to prepare for the gist reading task. • T clarifies MEANING by using CCQs in a chart. Example • Is debris the pieces of houses after an earthquake or is a word to describe a disaster? PIECES OF HOUSES Is a thunder a threat for humans or for buildings? FOR HUMANS • T asks eliciting questions to cover FORM. Students tell T where to put the words in the corresponding boxes. (regular verb, irregular verb, a countable noun or uncountable noun) • Instructions: Write the answers to the chat. • T covers PRONUNCIATION asking students to match the sound with the corresponding word in bold. • Instructions: Match the sound with the corresponding word in bold. Example: X x x x “or being hit by falling glass or debris.” dəˈbri • T nominates students to give the correct answer.
• T shares screen for visual support. • Instructions: List 5 things to do in these circumstances. 3 minutes. In groups. • Learners make a list in groups. • ICQs: Do we make a list of similar circumstances or what to do in these circumstances? WHAT TO DO Do I have 3 minutes or 5 minutes? 3 MINUTES • Check answers in pairs/groups in breakout rooms. • Students read and check their answers individually. 3 minutes. • ICQs: Do we read the texts to check my answers or to find the words? CHECK ANSWERS Do I read fast or slowly? FAST • T conducts OCFB by providing an answer key.
• T shares screen for visual support. T shows to students the reading again. • Instructions: Read to the texts again and answer the Google Form. 6 minutes reading. 1 minute answer the form Individual. • ICQs: Do we read to discuss in pairs or to answer Google Form? ANSWER GOOGLE FORM. Do I read fast or slowly? SLOWLY • Check answers in pairs/groups in breakout rooms. 2 minutes. • T conducts OCFB by providing an answer key.
• T shares screen for visual support. T shows three questions. • Instructions: Time to discuss with your classmates. Discuss these questions in groups. You have 6 minutes. Individually. • ICQs: Do we discuss these questions or about the text again? THESE QUESTIONS Do we have 3 minutes or 6 minutes? 6 MINUTES • T nominates 2 students to share their conversations. (If there’s time) • T conducts DEC and Feedback for the lesson.