Upper Intermediate level
By the end of the lesson learners will obtain fluency speaking practice of sayings in the context of anecdotes.
To provide clarification of sayings in the context of anecdotes
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- T shares screen and projects an image. - Instructions: Look closely at the image. In pairs you will think of a short phrase to describe this image. - ICQ's: How long will your phrase be? (short) What will it describe? (the image) - Learners discuss the image and write down their answers in the chat box. - T conducts OCFB - Today we will look at some useful sayings for anecdotes, and hopefully we can share some great anecdotes by the end of the class.
- Instructions: Let's look at some sayings and begin brainstorming some situations to start getting ideas for our final anecdotes. - T shares screen and reads instructions. - Instructions: Match the words to the meanings and brainstorm ideas to match each situation. - T demos task. - ICQ's: What will you do? (match) - T shares link to jamboard. - Learners brainstorm and answer. They check their answer in pairs when done. - T conducts OCFB
- Instructions: Now let's focus on these sayings a bit more. - T shares screen and reads instructions. - Instructions: Complete and match the phrases with the correct saying. - T demos task. - ICQ's: Are we completing all the phrases? (no) Are we matching all the phrases? (yes) - T shares link to Google forms. - Learners match sayings to meanings. They check their answer in pairs when done. - T conducts OCFB and covers MPFA for all sayings. Example: every cloud has a silverlining Pronunciation: /ˈɛvəri klaʊd həz ə ˈsɪlvər ˈlaɪnɪŋ/ Form: saying CCQ's: What word refers to problems? (cloud)
- Now it's time to prepare our own anecdotes. - Instructions: Prepare an anecdote where you use at least 3 sayings from today's class. - ICQ's: How many sayings should you use? (at least 3) - Learners prepare their anecdtes. They share their anecdotes. - T conducts OCFB (Based on the anecdotes you heard, which was the most interesting?)
- T presents samples of language collected in the Freer Practice stage. - Learners identify correct uses of language and help correct erroneous uses. - T conducts DEC