Upper Intermediate level
By the end of the lesson, learners will have practiced their gist and detailed listening skills in the context of advertisements.
Learners will obtain clarification of key words through MFP from the listening in the context of advertisement. (supress, promote, grab, advert),
Learners will have practiced their speaking fluency in a conversation in the context of advertisement.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- T writes questions on screen: Think of a famous brand you bought recently. What made you buy it? What strategies do you think are used to sell this brand? - Learners discuss in pairs. - Learners work in pairs in break our rooms to discuss the question. - T elicits a few ideas from learners. - T conducts OCFB and writes learner’s ideas on the board.
- T shares screen and reads instructions. - Instructions: Match the meanings and labels to the words. - T demos the task. - ICQ's: Do you need to match all the meanings and labels? (Yes.) - T shares link to jamboard activity. - Learners answer in pairs. - T conducts OCFB and covers MPFA for all words. Example: Supress Pronunciation: səˈpres Form: verb CCQ's: Does this eliminate something permanently? (NO) Is it temporary? (YES)
- Instructions: You will now listen to an audio about advertising. - T shares screen and reads instructions. - Instructions: Listen and answer the questions. - T demos the task. (Demo first 15 sec) - ICQ's: Will you listen for specific details? (No) - T shares link to Google Forms activity & plays the audio. - Learners listen and answer individually and check answers in pairs. - T conducts OCFB
- Instructions: Let's listen again. - T shares screen and reads instructions. - Instructions: Listen again in more detail and answer the questions. - T demos the task. - ICQ's: Should you read the questions before you listen? (Yes) - T shares link to google forms activity. - T allows learners to read questions. - Learners listen and answer individually then compare answers in pairs. - T conducts OCFB
- Instructions: Let's practice the the vocabulary! - T shares screen and gives instructions. - Instructions: Take a look at your responses from the beginning of the class, were your answers correct? What other strategies are used by the brand you mentioned? Which strategies have worked with you? Will you change your buying habits after this? - T demos the task. - ICQ's: Should you try to use all the vocabulary of today's lesson? (Yes) - Learners work in pairs and switch as much as possible..
- T presents samples of language collected in the Freer Practice stage. - Learners identify correct uses of language and help correct erroneous uses. - T conducts DEC