To provide review and practice of collocations in the context of modern and traditional things
To provide gist reading practice using a text about a grandma and her granddaughter in the context of modern and traditional things.
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a debate in the context of modern and traditional things
Procedure (33-43 minutes)
1. T will show first slide of Jamboard and ask students to describe what they see/what the things are for/differences and similarities. (2 min) 2. T will ask if there's any way they could categorize them and ask them to do so together (expected: new/old). T will say that they could also be divided into modern or traditional. (1 min) 3. T will ask SS to get into pairs and discuss what things they can think up that are modern and their traditional equivalent. Just like in the pictures. T will give ideas: food, ways of traveling, medicine, etc. (2 min) 4. T will ask them to come back and share some of their ideas. (1 minute)
1. T will ask SS to read quickly through the text in the link and answer the gist question there. (3 min) 2. SS work in pairs to discuss their answer. (2 min) 3. T will ask SS to share their answers in pairs and answer the following section of the form in pairs. (3 min) 4. T will ask SS to come back to the main session and share their thoughts. (2 min)
1. T will ask students to fill in the matching activity, where they will match the bolded word to its meaning, T will show example of the form. In the breakout rooms, SS will answer together the activity. (5 minutes) 2. T will ask SS to share their answers. T will clarify meaning by showing Jamboard slides with meaning and pictures. T will clarify form by asking SS the parts of speech that each words is made up of. (4 minutes) 3. T will go over pronunciation with SS using drills and asking SS to show where the stress goes. (3 minutes)
1. T will ask SS CCQ to check concepts. (4 min) 3. SS will answer the gap-fill activity (2 min) and then pair into their break out rooms to peer check (2 min). 4. SS will come back to the main session and check their answers. (1 min)
1. T will ask students to work in pairs and choose what is better and why: traditional or modern things. (2 minutes) 2. Once the time is up, students will discuss amongst the whole class what they chose and why. (4 minutes) 3. Teacher will conduct content FB/DEC. (2-6 minutes) 4. Teacher will then say goodnight.