To provide practice of comparatives and superlatives in the context of fashion.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a in daily conversation and debate in the context of fashion.
To provide gist listening practice using a text about comparatives and superlatives in the context of in the context of fashion.
Procedure (42-46 minutes)
1. "Fashion is an important component to our current societal norms and acts as a way to reflect our personality on the outside. In groups, please describe your personal style and why you dress the way that you dress. You have 3 minutes". -"For example, I like to wear sweatpants and leggings because they're good for working out and I find them comfortable. What about you (NOMINATE STUDENT)?" -ICQ: What do we need to discuss? How much time do we have? -This Lead-in incites the students to personalize the context and thus find it easier to understand the grammar later on -3-4 minutes
1. Look at these pictures while listening to a fashion expert talk about them (slide #3). - Exercise 2, module 5 NCE Pre-int. - 1:32 min 2. (slide #4) As a group, let's discuss: Do you agree? Do you disagree? Why? - 3 min
1. Slide #5: Form, meaning and formula included. Target language not included yet, but it explains comparatives and superlatives. - 4 min 2. Slide #6: Rules: 1 syllable (er or est). 2+ syllables (more, less, most, least). 2 syllables and "y" ending (y becomes ier or iest). BRIEFLY mention irregular verbs. - 10 min - Ask for examples after each rule, or say something incorrect and ask if it's correct. - I'm concerned about TTT in this slide, but I must explain. - I have a LIST OF ADJECTIVES so that they can use them to create their examples! 3. Target language, slide #7: Words from the recording, MFPA; MATCH ACTIVITY. MEANING: yellow. I have decided not to get into form because it's already been revised. PRONUNCIATION: blue. COMPARATIVE OR SUPERLATIVE: orange - "The glasses make her look much MORE SERIOUS". CCQs: Is she being compared? YES (revisit form in slide 5) Does she look more proper and dignified, or less proper and dignified? MORE - "This is the MOST SOPHISTICATED picture". CCQs: Is this picture simple-looking? NO Is the picture very sophisticated or a little sophisticated? VERY - "The hair makes her look YOUNGER". CCQs: Is she being compared? YES Does the hair make her look like an elderly person? NO - "This is the BEST picture". CCQs: Is this picture superior or inferior to the others? SUPERIOR Is this the worst picture? NO - 6:00 - 8:00 min - Pronunciation: syllable counting and drilling. "WHICH SYLLABLE IS STRESSED?"
1. Slide #8: Complete the following exercise individually. - NCE pg 45 ex 3a - 3:00 min 2. Pair check/ group check 3 min 2. OCFB 2 min - Answers slide #9. - Ask: is ir a comparative or a superlative?
Slide #10: In groups, please write two sentences: one which features a comparative and one which features a superlative. - 2 min ICQs: Do you need to write a paragraph? How much time do you have? etc. 2 min OCFB
- I will correct common mistakes heard during monitoring - I will thank them for their time and say goodbye