For students to practice writing a movie review fluently
For students to learn a few vocabulary words relating to the context of movies
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- Greet the students and introduce the lesson and what we will be doing today (Writing a review/recommendation) - Show the slide and show the pictures one by one and elicit the pictures to see if the students can guess what it means and what the story behind it is. (I recently moved to Turkey and I love watching movies and shows, I'm trying to learn Turkish by watching their films because they are famous. I would like your help to find a nice movie/tv show that I can watch to improve my Turkish.) - Make sure the context is set and move on.
- In this stage of the lesson, I will teach the students some vocabulary words that will help them during the reading for gist activity. - I will present the photos at first and try to draw out what they think about the photos (who is in the photo? what are they doing? is the horse real or fake? is the girl happy? is she acting like she's happy but actually sad? do we think they are acting like someone they are not? "Pretending") - CCQs, Drill the word, show the written form, and elicit the stress. - Repeat this for the two other vocabulary words. - The second part of this stage is to read 3 examples of movie reviews. - Give the students a minute to read each text and then see if they can find any connections between the movies (Genre: all of them were comedy films) - Ask the students which movie interested them the most.
- Review A is chosen to highlight and clarify the useful language. - Ask the students if they remember how I formatted the slides (What was the first thing on the slide? Title of movie. Photo?) - Show the sentences one by one, and analyze the language used. Look at how it is written and clarify that the first sentence always mentioned who watched the film, where, and how I felt about it. Then focus on the second sentence and how it mentions the genre and a description of the film. The third sentence focuses on adjectives describing the movie. The last sentence is the recommendation. - After we have gone through the format and structure as a class. Show them the slide with all the information we spoke about. Ask them to take pictures for reference.
- Show the students the instructions of the task and ask them to take pictures. - Ask them to think about and write their review of a movie/tv show that they think i would like and would be useful for me to learn Turkish. - Give the students time to write individually in the chatbox and monitor them. - When they have completed their task ask them to send their writing so that I can check them. - Send the students to breakout rooms to talk about their movies/tv-shows and each group should decide on which one they want to recommend to me. - During this time, I can check their writing and prepare feedback and error correction. - Bring the students back to the main room and ask each group what they chose to recommend to me and why.
- Prepare the slides and write 3 not so good sentences that the students produced and 2 good sentences and ask the students to work in groups to find out which ones are good and not so good. (breakout rooms) - Ask the students if they know how to make it better and then show them how we need to improve the sentences and why.