Grammar - Past Simple
To provide clarification and practice of the Past Simple Tense in the context of "A tale of two Sydneys"
To provide gist reading practice using a text about "A tale of two Sydneys" in the context of travel
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of travel
Procedure (33-47 minutes)
1. I will show some pictures of Australia and ask the students: "Look at these pictures and discuss with your partner would you like to travel to this place or not? Why?" 2. I will divide students into breakout rooms for 1 min. 3. I will elicit answers from students.
1. I will display pictures and set the context. 2. I will elicit answers from the students, then, I will ask some CCQs, then, drilling, then I will display a word and mention the stress of the word.
1. I will display the text and introduce characters: "These are Emma and Raoul. They wanted to travel to Sydney. I want you to read this story and answer the question: Do you think they were in Sydney?" 2. I will give time for students to read (3 min). 3. Then, I will elicit the answers.
1. I will display the slide with the text from ex.1 and ex.2a. 2. I will ask students: Look at the highlighted words in the text and write your answers in this table. 3. I will give students 2 minutes to complete this task. 4. I will elicit answers from the students.
1. I will display sentences of the ex.2c (p.55) and tell: "There are 10 sentences. You need to write missing words was/were/did in the gaps." 2. I will model the first sentence. 3. I will divide students into breakout rooms and give them 2 minutes to complete this exercise in pairs. 4. Then, I will play the recording 5.7 and ask students to check their answers. 5. Then, I will play the recording again and pause it after the each sentence and ask students to repeat and copy the rhythm.
1. I will display some pictures of travelling. 2. I will tell students: "Remember last time you travelled somewhere. Talk to your partner about your last trip. Use the Pat Simple Tense." 3. I will divide students into breakout rooms for 5 minutes. 4. I will provide language/content feedback .