CELTA TP2 Lexis 10 July 2020
Upper Intermediate level
To enable students to practice forming adjectives in the context of a text about advice/inspiration columns for "life's ups and downs."
To enable students to practise their fluency speaking skills by exchanging opinions with a partner about characteristics they admire/find annoying.
To enable students to practice their reading for gist skills in the context of reading a short text advice/inspiration text.
Procedure (34-43 minutes)
- T greets Ss and welcomes them to the class - T shows "Dear Abby" image and asks Ss if they know what it is - T introduces the idea of the advice column/website - T shows the text from "inspirations.com" (pg. 22) - T asks Ss if anyone knows what "life's ups and downs" means - T asks Ss if they think advice columns/websites are useful - T asks Ss to read the text quickly (1 minute) and guess the blanked word - ICQs: How long do we have to read? [1min.] What are we guessing? [the blanked word] - T nominates S to share the word they guessed
- T: "you might have also noticed some words in the text in bold" - T shows screen with words listed and asks "what kind of words are these?" - T elicits/nominates the answer: ADJECTIVES - T asks "what are adjectives?" and elicits/nominates the answer: adjectives are DESCRIBING WORDS - T introduces the topic: “Today we’ll be learning about and practicing forming adjectives” - T: "we form adjectives by adding a suffix to a verb or a noun" -T: can anyone tell me what a SUFFIX is?" and elicits/nominates the answer: "a letter or group of letters added at the end of a word to make a new word" - T shows chart with adjectives, V/Ns, and suffixes/prefixes - T: "now let's look closely at four examples from the text" - T leads Ss through MFPA of VALUABLE (see TLAS_TP2 sheet) - T describes -able suffix: this suffix often means 'can be' i.e. Washable = can be washed, Understandable = can be understood, Readable = can be read - T leads Ss through MFPA of PENNILESS (see TLAS_TP2 sheet) - T describes -less suffix: this suffix often means 'without' i.e. sleeveless, hopeless, groundless, restless - T leads Ss through MFPA of DEPRESSED (see TLAS_TP2 sheet) - T describes the -ed vs. -ing suffixes: Many adjectives to describe feelings have both an -ing and an -ed form. annoyed / annoying depressed / depressing excited / exciting The -ed form describes how you feel. I’m very tired this morning. The -ing form describes what makes you feel that way. Looking after babies is very tiring. However, not all -ed / -ing adjectives have both forms: Ben is a very talented musician. Fortunately, her illness isn’t catching. - T leads Ss through MFPA of UNHAPPY (see TLAS_TP2 sheet) - T describes PREFIXES used to form OPPOSITES
- T reintroduces inspirations.com - T assigns Ss to pairs and gives them 4 minutes to complete Practice 1 on page 22. - T shares screen with exercise and also sends it via email as a PDF - ICQs: are we doing this individually or in pairs? [in pairs] How many minutes do we have? [4 min.] - T calls Ss back to main session and checks answers in open class feedback [4 min.]
- T instructs Ss to return to the exercise with their partner. This time they will discuss whether they agree or disagree with each statement for 5 minutes. - ICQs: What will you discuss with your partner? [whether you agree or disagree] How many minutes do you have? [5 minutes] - T sends pairs to breakout rooms to discuss and monitors - Ss return to main session and discuss in OCF [5 minutes]
- T shares screen with students and asks them to work individually on exercise 2a) making a list of adjective that describe people's character - positive and negative - from the previous exercise, and also add their own [3 minutes] - ICQs: Are you working in pairs? [No, individually] How many minutes do you have? [3 min.] - T calls Ss back to main session - T asks Ss to work in their pairs to complete exercise 2b), discussing which characteristics they admire and which they find annoying [3 minutes] - ICQs: Are you working in pairs? [Yes] How many minutes do you have? [3 min.] - T calls Ss back to main session to discuss in OCF - T performs delayed error correction [DEC] - T thanks Ss for their time and hard work before saying goodbye