Pre Intermediate level
To provide clarification, review and practice of "used to" in the context of talking about past habits.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion in the context of changes in things.
To provide gist reading practice using a text about the history of health and related habits.
Procedure (36-48 minutes)
1. T will show SS two pictures comparing medicine in the past (barber taking out a tooth) and in the present (dentist) (1 min) 2. T will ask SS to answer "How has medicine changed in recent years?" in pairs. (2 min) 3. T will ask SS to come back and share their conclusions. (2 min)
1. T will show SS the next activity, a reading titled: Unhealthy History. They'll need to answer a gist question and two questions about when some sentences took place (past/present). 2. T will give SS the link for a reading. Ask SS if they've got it opened and if they're seeing the activity. (5 min) 3. T will call SS back and ask them to check their answers with a classmate in breakout rooms (3 min) "Are we going to check answers?" Yes. 4. T will ask SS to share answers with the class.
1. T will tell ss that they're going to be answering some more questions in pairs about the reading and T will give them the link. (2 min) "Have you clicked the link?" "Are you seeing this screen?" 2. Once everyone has the link open, T will separate ss into breakout rooms. (4 min to answer) 3. SS will come back to the main session and check the answers. 4. When checking answers, they'll have noticed the structure "used to/didn't use to" and identified it as a way to referring to past habits or states. (3 min) 5. T will ask CCQs regarding the use of the structure in the reading: People didn’t use to live more than 14 years! a. Do people live more now? Yes b. Did people live much in the past? No Women used to have more children than they do today. a. Do women have a lot of children now? No b. Did women have more children in the past? Yes 6. SS and T will go over form, explaining that "used to/didn't use to" are fixed expressions that do not change. (2 min) 7. T will go over pronunciation with SS using drills and asking SS to show where the stress goes. (3 minutes)
1. T will give instructions for the next activity: "Now, we're going to be answering this fill in the gap activity using used to and didn't use to." 2. T will give SS the link and ask if they've opened it and if they can see the activity. 3. SS will answer it individually (4 min) and then go into breakout rooms to peer check their answers (2 min) 4. SS will come back to the main session and check their answers (1 min)
1. T will ask SS to discuss in pairs "What else has changed in recent years?" T will show slide with some then/now pictures to help inspire SS. (1 min) 2. SS will have 3 minutes to discuss these changes and then come back to the main session and share with the class. (6 min total) 3. T will conduct DEC/Content FB (2-4 min) 4. T will then say goodbye and introduce the next T: Gulled.