To practice and revise collocations on ambitions and dreams within the context of a recording that talks about the backgrounds of famous actors and musicians.
To provide accuracy in speaking in daily conversations in the context of ambitions and dreams.
To provide gist listening practice using a text about ambitions and dreams in the context of celebrity backgrounds.
Procedure (43-46 minutes)
1. "Ever since I was I kid I've always wanted to be an actress. I'm never quite as happy as I am onstage. I still act constantly nowadays, and it makes me feel very fulfilled. In pairs, tell each other what your ambitions were when you were younger, whether you'd still like to fulfill them and if you think they were realistic or not and why. You have two minutes". - ICQ: How much time do you have? What do you need to discuss? - This Lead-in incites the students to personalize the topic - 2 MINUTES 2. OCFB 2 min
1. "Listen to the recording and, as a group, let's predict what the lesson will be about". (2:22 MINUTES) - Answer under post-it note: ambitions and dreams 2. OCFB ("So we're gonna talk about ambitions and dreams".) 4 min -Make sure that the discussion is student based to reduce TTT -The predictions will help the students get a general understanding of the lexis within a context (Gist activity). - I will only play the recording ONCE because it is a gist activity, and it's not a listening lesson. - Don't make the discussion too long, it'll take up too much time - Explicitly tell them that the lesson will be about ambitions and dreams. QUESTIONS TO ASK DURING GROUP DISCUSSION: - What is the general idea of the recording? - What do these actors have in common? (They all had a dream)
Lexis chosen from NCE book and recording. 1. Ambition, slide #4: 4 min 2. Dreamt, slide #5: 4 min 3. Become famous, slide #6: 4 min 4. Start my own business. slide #7: 4 min Most of the explanation relies on asking students questions, making the lesson much more student centered. During this stage I'll try to nominate students to agree, disagree and contribute.
1. "Open the Google forms link I sent you and answer the questions individually." - 3 Min - 6 questions - Slide #8 - REMIND THEM NOT TO SUBMIT THEIR ANSWERS YET SO THAT THEY CAN CHECK THEM - Questions include 3 multiple choice, one True or False, one Checkbox and one Open question. 2. "Now check your answers in groups". - 2 Min 3. OCFB 2 MIN answers slide #9
1. "In groups, share some of your own ambitions and dreams that you have fulfilled." - 3 min - It can be anything... sports, travel, family, business, spirituality, learning... 2. OCFB. - Share answers - 2 min
- I will correct common mistakes heard during monitoring - I will introduce Jeff briefly - I will thank them for their time and say goodbye