Copy of CELTA TP7 READING
To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text about 'my jobs' in the context of 'What was your first job?'
To provide accuracy speaking practice in an interview in the context of 'my first job experience'
To provide clarification and practice of the lexical items (adjectives/expressions) used for 'talking about jobs' in the context of 'my first job experience'
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
1. T greets everyone and commences the session 2. T says: "Today I want to tell you a bit more about my self". 3. T gives instruction for Act1: - I have put pictures of 5 pictures of my past jobs on the walls - T says these while writing on the board: 1 of them was my 'first job', one of them was not my first job but was my 'best job', and one of them was my 'worst job' - Here I have some stickers. For my first job put a 'yellow' sticker, for my best job put a 'green' sticker, and for my worst job put a 'red' sticker on the pictures - Now, with your neighbor go around the class and decide on your answers - 2 minutes 4. T ICQs 5. T reflects on the tasks and asks for opinions about the answers
1. T sets up Act2: - Now, here there is an interview about me - You can find some interesting information about my past jobs - Read the text and answer the questions down here - Work alone - 3 minutes - T ICQs 2. T asks for pair check 3. T asks an early finisher to come to the board and write the answers (in front of the ones T has already written on the board)
1. T sets up Act3: - Now, here we have some sentences from the text - Work with your neighbor and try to put them in the correct order as they are in the text - T gives out the paper strips to each pair - 3 minutes - T ICQs 2. T asks an early finisher to come and stick their strips on the board in the correct order
1. T sets up Act4: - Now, here we have some words from the text - There are 2 columns. You need to match the words in the first column with their opposites in the second column. - For example, I did the first one for you: easyXdifficult - Work with your neighbor - 2 minutes - T gives each pair 1 HO 2. T gives out the rest of HOs 3. T gives FB by playing the audio recording and asks Ss to repeat after each set of opposites by pausing them and if she sees Ss struggling with the meanings, she will CCQ
1. T sets up Act5: - T forms 2 groups - Group A, I give you each a card with a job name and some information about it, imagine it was your first job in life. You can add more information to the cards. - Group B, you are the interviewers, it means that you need to ask people from Group A questions about their first job in life and 'guess what their job was'. I give you a paper with questions. You can also ask more questions if you want. But remember that you need to guess the name of the job. - T ICQs and starts the task (here I will monitor the Ss closely to make sure they are on the right track. If I see some pairs struggling with the task I will join them and help them out.) 2. T asks the pairs to change their roles and find new pairs and re-distributes the cards randomly 3. T provides some correction in the end
1. T sets up Act6: - Now, I want you to think of or imagine your first job in the past - Write good and bad information about it on a paper - Use past tense (was/were) and the adjectives we learnt today - Work alone - 4 minutes 2. T sticks the Ss' writings on the wall 3. T gives out 'green' and 'red' stickers (one pair for each person) 4. T asks Ss to go around the class and read each other's stories and put a 'green' sticker for a job they think is 'the best' and a 'red' sticker for the job they think is 'the worst' 5. T asks Ss to sit and asks them to discuss their answers with their neighbors (if still time) 6. T provides some correction in the end