TP4 - Functional Language - Responding Sympathetically
Upper Intermediate level
By the end of the lesson, the students will have been introduced to, and will have practiced for accuracy and fluency the functional language related to responding sympathetically in real-life situations.
The students will practice listening for gist and responding sympathetically in conversation
Procedure (45 minutes)
- T presents lead-in / picture - Picture of a bar/pub with bartender and customers. - Who do you like to talk to when you need a sympathetic listener? - - Learners go to breakout rooms to discuss and compare answers (2 minutes) - T conducts OCFB and writes learners’ ideas on the board.
- Students listen to conversations o What is the person’s problem in each conversation o Is the listener very sympathetic? - Students answer questions via Google Forms - Learners go to breakout rooms to discuss and compare answers. (1-2 minutes) - T conducts OCFB
- Meaning: - There are basically two types of sympathetic phrases. Some phrases primarily express that you are listening to the other person and understand how they feel. Other phrases express encouragement or make suggestions. - - Learners do matching exercise in pairs in breakout rooms (4 minutes) - Appropriacy: Highlight politeness and appropriacy - Form: Highlight the fixed or semi-fixed parts of the expression. - Pronunciation: Focusing on polite intonation
- Instructions: Page 23, Ex 3b - Learners read the situations via Google Forms and select two (2) appropriate sympathetic responses (5 minutes) - . - Check answers in pairs in the breakout rooms. - T conducts OCFB
- Students select a situation and role play. - Pick one of the topics to discuss with your partner. Your partner should respond sympathetically. Discuss for three minutes, then pick a different topic and switch roles. Focused on fluency and communication Done in pairs in breakout rooms
- T nominates 1-2 students to share their answers - T writes on the board samples of learners’ production and sets a task in pairs for learners to identify the correct and incorrect sentences and correct the latter ones. - T conducts OCFB, DEC