Copy of Advantages and Disadvantages of modern technology
To provide detailed reading practice using a text about technology in the context of disadvantages and advantages of modern technology
To provide gist reading practice using a text about technology in the context of modern day technology
To provide fluency speaking practice in a debate in the context of technology- agree or disagree with the author
Vocabulary- to build understanding of the text using 5-6 main words from the text
Procedure (42-45 minutes)
- T will ask how SS are and then briefly ask who has a computer and what type of computer is it etc... - T will then show SS a video on kids reactions to old computers (00:00- 1:46) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7EpEnglgk - T will then show SS some pictures of different technological devices and have them elicit
- T will then put SS in pairs and give them some vocabulary related to the text - SS must match the meaning of each word in pairs - A/K will be provided when they are finished so they can see how they did. - Each word will then be drilled and the stress will be elicited from the SS - T shows SS the pictures of the different devices again and has them discuss which ones they like and which they don't like and why. (in groups of 3-4)
- SS will be split into new pairs - Each pair will be given cut outs of the paragraphs and asked to correctly match the headings with each paragraph - SS will be given a strict time limit of 2 minutes to do so which will be displayed on the board - When finished SS can check others to see how they did. - The text will then be given to each student with the headings and they can see how they did.
- SS will be split into groups by choosing different coloured papers from the box. - Each S will be given a HO with true or false statements in it related to the text. - SS will be told to answer simply true or false individually and given time to do so - When finished SS will be told to check in pairs and WC FB will be given using the W/B - When SS answer False they will be asked to elicit why it is false.
- SS will remain in their groups of 4 - One pair in the group will agree with the author and the other pair will disagree - SS will be given some colourful paper and each pair will be asked to write why they agree or disagree with the author - The W/B will be split in two with one side agree and the other disagree - When each pair are finished they must stick their 'poster' to the corresponding side - SS will then stand up and discuss which ones they agree or disagree with and why - As SS are discussing the T will write notes on all errors on the posters and give delayed error correction to finish the class