B2 'Upper-intermediate' level
To provide practice of Adverbs and Adverb phrases in the context of Incredibly Short Stories
To provide Ss with practice of reading skills as a context for TL
Procedure (35-46 minutes)
Ss will be asked to look at the 4 photos in the slide and guess what they're about. Ss will share their answers and whole-class feedback will be taken.
- Draw Ss' attention to the titles and then ask them to read the 4 stories and match them with their title. Refer to the glossary for Ss to check new words. - Feedback 'This could be done by asking individuals or showing the answer key'. - Set Ss in pairs and ask them to react to the stories they've just read and say which one they liked the most and why. - Encourage Ss to use explanations and to ask follow-up questions. - Feedback.
- Ask Ss to look at the highlighted words in the 4 stories and ask them to write them in their correct place in the chart. Do the first one with them as a demonstration. - Ss will do them individually and then peer-check. - Show Ss the answer key. - Ss now will try to use their background knowledge and try to put the adverbs in their correct position. Tell them to use their hunch to do it. Don't show them the AK as they will work on the rules 'MF' themselves in the next stage.
- Ask Ss to work on HO4. Demonstrate the task by showing how they are going to do. Ss will work in pairs and do the exercise 'guided-discover'. - Monitor discretely. - In the feedback stage, show the answer key in kind of clarification and allow Ss to justify their answers. - In every part of the 'guided-discovery', teach the form, meaning, and pronunciation. - Ask some CCQs like - - "Which sentence is correct? - Liam always is late - - Liam is always late - Which sentence is correct? - I yesterday played the guitar - I played the guitar yesterday - Which sentence is correct? - He didn’t pass the exam unfortunately. - Unfortunately, he didn’t pass the exam. - Which sentence is correct? - My husband a lot works. - My husband works a lot. - Which sentence is correct? - I would never have thought you were 40. - I would have never thought you were 40". Show Ss the answer key.
- Ask Ss to do a controlled-practice exercise. Demonstrate an example for Ss. - Ss will do it individually and then peer-check. Ask them to refer back to the 'guided-discovery exercise'. - Show them the answer key.
- Ask Ss to do a speaking activity called 'name someone who'. Ss will work in groups of 3. - --- They will ask and answer questions usıng the TL 'adverbs'. - Ss will report back to the whole class. - Write down any errors might arise and ask Ss to correct it in the cold-correction stage.