Verb phrases lesson
To practice the vocabulary of verb phrases related to three types of personalities: physical, creative and practical.
To provide practice in speaking in the same context.
Procedure (44-54 minutes)
- Give every student two pictures of people doing some activities, e.g: (swimming, playing football, drawing, dancing, using computer, cooking, playing guitar, taking photos, driving a car and reading a map) - Ask the Ss to write three adjectives about the people in the pictures which help them to do these activities and to write if they like doing these activities or not and why - Listen to the Ss answers
- Stick pictures of people doing some activities on the board - Divide the Ss into two teams - Give each team some verb phrases and each one of these phrases match with a picture - Give instructions: You have to stick each verb under its picture and the team who finishes first will be the winner team - Demonstrate the first one with them - Give feedback: Show the picture with the verb phrase on the PowerPoint slides
- Show the Ss pictures of (children playing sports, a boy swimming, a man driving a car, a girl dancing, a boy taking a photo, a girl painting a pictures, a girl cooking with her father, children playing musical instruments, a man not following the instructions, a man reading a map, a man programming a video and a man using computer) - Show the Ss the picture and try to elicit the verb phrase from them by asking : What is/are he/she/they doing ? - Drill the pronunciation of the verb phrase - Ask the Ss to repeat the verb phrase - Write the verb phrase form on the board (every four verb phrases match with one type of personalities so these four verb phrases will be written with the same color) - Write the three types of personalities (physical,creative and practical) on the board with the black marker - Ask the Ss to guess and try to match each personality with its phrases - Match each personality with its phrases using the same color of these phrases
- Start a game which has multiple choice questions about the verb phrases - Divide the students into two teams - Give instructions: You have to knock to answer the question and when you knock you have to answer quickly. - Demonstrate the first question with the Ss
- Give the Ss a survey which includes some verb phrases and types of personalities - Ask the Ss to put () next to the things they like to do and to put () next to the things they do not like to do - Ask the Ss to interview their partners and complete the survey - Ask the interviewer to see if his/her partner is physical, creative or practical * Extra practice: - Ask the Ss to write some notes about the personality of the person they like and why do they think he/she has this personality, then ask them to speak about him/her